Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot Installation with Windows XP Home Edition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Fackedhucker

Fackedhucker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Hey all!
Yesterday, I used a partitioning program to make a 50 GB partition, which I planned to install Windows XP (32 bit) Home Edition on. The partitioning went well, and when I tried to install xp on the new partition, everything is normal, but after it loads drivers and other files, I got the blue screen of death and the following error message: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000). My computer specs are as followed: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-sa...5.html?tag=psum . If anyone can help me, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

-Connor

EDIT: Merged duplicate topic posts ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 May 2010 - 07:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

What media...were you attempting to use...to install Windows?

There is no need to use any partitioning software to create a partition to install XP on.

If you were using recovery/restore disks supplied by a system manufacturer...they format as part of the recovery/restore operation.

If you were using a MS Genuine XP CD...it does it all (create/format partition, install XP).

So...I would suggest you delete your created partition and try again.

Louis

#3 Fackedhucker

Fackedhucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

I was using a genuine copy of the windows xp CD. I used Gparted Live to create the partition that I wanted to install xp on. I am currently running windows 7, and want to dual boot win 7 and XP. I wasn't aware that (assuming I had only one partition) the windows xp installation procedure would allow me to shrink a partition and used the unallocated space to create a new one.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:59 AM

Well...no one said that the Windows CD allows you to shrink an existing partition...the Windows CD assumes that it is dealing with a blank/empty hard drive.

As for installing XP after Win 7 is installed...that can (reportedly) be done.

Google Links

I say "reportedly" because the generally accepted technique for installing different versions of Windows...always calls for the older O/S to be installed first.

Louis

#5 Fackedhucker

Fackedhucker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

Hey all!
I currently have Windows 7 64-bit installed on my Toshiba Satellite m505-s4940 laptop. I created a new partition yesterday, (50GB, NTFS) and planned to install Windows XP on it. When I attempt to boot from the disc (I set it in BIOS to boot from cd first, then HD) and install XP on my new partition, I am greeted with the infamous blue screen of death: Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2425, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I have attempted rebooting, only to be greeted with the same screen. However, if I remove the disc from the DVD drive, the computer boots into windows 7 normally.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? *BTW, I am using a legitimate and genuine copy of Windows XP, so that is not an issue.
If anyone has experienced this, or has any knowledge they'd like to pass on, all is welcome. Thanks!

-Connor

Edited by Fackedhucker, 23 May 2010 - 09:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users