Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aether

Aether

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:55 PM

Recently, because I got a tablet, I just got rid of an old monitor that had a fuzzy screen, only went up to 800x600 resolution, and randomly reset itself all the time. So I got rid of it, and got a new monitor (still used, but much better). Everything is cool now.. except that it still randomly resets! Sometimes it happens once an hour, sometimes once every minute. What happens is that suddenly everything that was moving on the screen freezes (such as the mouse, movies, etc.) and won't change until I hit alt-Tab or Start-D, and then the screen goes black for a moment before turning on again.

I'm guessing that since both monitors have done this, it's a problem with my software instead of the monitor itself. Problem is, I have no idea how to go about even looking for help, because I can't find any Q&A's about it at all. Can someone help me? Please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:25 AM

:thumbsup: to BC
Have you scanned for virus' or spyware? Here is a list of freeware? This is a good place to start.

AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial

These are all working copies. Only Ewido has a limit but is a great scanner even after the trial period is over.

Edited by acklan, 03 October 2005 - 01:03 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Aether

Aether
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the welcome, but um.. I have plenty of virus and spyware precautions... I don't think that's the problem. How many viruses do you know that cause the monitor to reset?

#4 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:01 PM

Did you get a new computer? I am uncertain about the tablet part.

If it is the same computer it sounds like a problem with the video card drivers and see if there are updated drivers available. If not try lowering the screen resolution or refresh rate.

If that doesn't help try attaching monitor to another computer, if it works okay there it may be the physical video card has a problem. They are fairly inexpensive if you don't want the latest fastest card.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for the welcome, but um.. I have plenty of virus and spyware precautions... I don't think that's the problem. How many viruses do you know that cause the monitor to reset?

None, now that you mention it. But since you mentioned nothing about scanning your computer for spyware/virus, I thought that would be a good place to start. Random and erratic behavior can be poor air flow due to clogged fans, malfunctioning part(s), corrupted drivers or software, or spyware/malware/virus'/trojans altering files to embed themselves into your registry or other programs to hide themselves and make it more difficult to remove.
I am an amateur and have no formal education in this field. I have been working on computers as a hobby since '91. I personally cannot name one virus and give the symptoms as to how it acts. If you are offenced by being approached as a newbie maybe you should have POSTed the steps you have already taken to try an resolve the problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Aether

Aether
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

If you are offenced by being approached as a newbie maybe you should have POSTed the steps you have already taken to try an resolve the problem.

I wasn't offended; I know full well that I'm a n00b... I was honestly asking the question. I hadn't heard of any viruses or spyware that did anything like that, so I was curious as to whether they really did.

Anyway... I did all that was suggested.. tried to update my driver, lowered the resolution and refresh rate... etc... I think it's just my physical card. Bummer. Oh well, thanks for the help anyway.

Edited by Aether, 06 October 2005 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users