Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New First Time Computer Build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chunky975

chunky975

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hey everyone, i think this is my first post here so hi :thumbsup:

I am going to be building a computer soon which will be my first one so it i am just wanting good specs but nothing that is terrible and nothing that is amazing.
So far i have this:

PSU - Casecom Silver 500W PSU - With 12cm Red LED Fan, 20+4pin 1x SATA, 1x PCI-E

ODD - Pioneer DVR S18LBK 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA - Retail Box Black with Software

CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

Processor - AMD Athlon II X3 440 3.0GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 Retail Box Processor

RAM - Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 HyperX Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-27)

HDD - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache - OEM Caviar Blue

SSD - OCZ 16GB miniPCI-Express SATA Solid State Drive

Motherboard - I am considering two boards; Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G Socket AM3 onboard DVI VGA HDMI 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard or the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 AMD 770 DDR3 ATX USB 3.0 Motherboard - Socket AM3

Case - NZXT Tempest EVO Midi Tower Case - No PSU

Please note that i pretty much just copy and pasted that so sorry if it is a bit messy.

I would just like to know if these specs would be good for a decent computer for a guy on a budget. As i said, this is my first build i am a complete noob and would like a bit of guidance please :huh: and i want to keep costs low and the build nice and easy.

I have a HDD and an SSD because i was thinking i could just install my OS onto the SSD (solid state drive btw) which would give me fast start up times and then just put all my other junk onto the 500GB HDD.

Also i would like to get a good case because i hopefully can just keep getting new components and upgrading this instead of building entirely new computers.

This in total is costing me about £500 so although i want to build my computer, I am on a budget so if i could get a better one pre-built from a computer store then just say :D

So thanks for reading this and any advice is appreciated :huh:

Edited by chunky975, 22 May 2010 - 05:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:39 AM

Since you're in the U.K., this limits us in terms of potential places to get hardware. Though I hear eBuyer is pretty good. The system looks good though I would change a few things around. The CPU is good for a general home PC, but if you want performance, AMD's Phenom II line does offer superior CPU's. For instance, a Phenom II CPU will always outperform an Athlon II CPU if both CPU's have the same number of cores and clock speed. Sadly, AMD has stopped producing the Phenom II X3, so you would have to go to their X4 line or go down to their X2. Unless you run applications that are threaded to use more than two cores, you may be better off getting a Phenom II X2 555. Not all programs that can use more than two cores scale well to three cores. I also suggest getting a hard drive with a 32MB cache, if you are able. That SSD is very small, even for installing only Windows on it. I would suggest a higher capacity if your budget allows. Those two motherboards are good choices from excellent manufacturers. The Asus uses the 785G chipset which has on-board graphics whereas the Gigabyte uses the older, and less expensive, 770 chipset which does not. This is the main difference between those two motherboards. I have noticed that you do not have a graphics card selected, you can use the on-board graphics with the Asus motherboard without the extra cost of buying a graphics card. As for the case, which one you should get is entirely up to you and your style. A mid-ATX case is not as deep as a full ATX case, such as the Coolermaster Silver Stacker 831 or the Chieftec CH-07 Dragon. Full ATX cases allow for you to install the huge graphics cards like Nvidia's GTX 470 or ATI's 5870 and have plenty of room for more components and fans.

3939.png

#3 chunky975

chunky975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

Yea i am actually using eBuyer for all of this stuff because it is tough to find it cheaper anywhere else and when i do it is only a few ££ so not quite worth it when this is such a trustworthy retailer.

I swapped my CPU to this one AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition. it is slightly cheaper and is almost as good so it will do for now until i can afford to get a better one.

Also i couldn't find any HDD's with 32MB that were cheap enough so im just gonna stick with the 16MB for now and i also picked out a good 30GB SSD cause Windows 7 is actually 16GB so i couldnt fit it on the old SSD.

I have decided on this motherboard instead of both of them now (Asus M4A87TD EVO 870) and therfore have gone for this graphics card (Asus HD 4350)

This case can actually fit large graphics cards in it according to the reviews so it should be fine :thumbsup:

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:28 AM

If you're using this for gaming, you may want a different graphics card since the 4350 will choke on many newer titles. It is more expensive, and, compared to the mainstream 5770, slow, but I would suggest a Radeon 5450 which is faster. The Sapphire HD 5450 1GB looks nice.

3939.png

#5 chunky975

chunky975
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

[UPDATED]

PSU - OCZ 400W Stealth XStream PSU - 140mm Fan 1x PCI-E 4x SATA

ODD - Pioneer DVR S18LBK 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA - Retail Box Black with Software

CPU Cooler - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler

Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

RAM - Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V

HDD - Western Digital WD5001AALS 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM Caviar Black

Motherboard - Asus M4A87TD EVO 870 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Case - NZXT Tempest EVO Midi Tower Case - No PSU

Graphics Card - Sapphire HD 5450 1GB DDR3 HDMI DVI VGA Out PCI-E Low Profile Graphics Card

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:20 AM

I don't suggest doing that build since the GPU uses a 64-bit interface which may bottleneck with a quad core CPU, addtionally your power supply is insufficient to handle a higher-end card.

You can do the following.
Downgrade to the Phenom II X2, which, if you don't game with max settings, will be more than enough.
You can leave everything as is and upgrade again in a few months.
You can upgrade your power supply and graphics card. You can upgrade the PSU now and hold off on a new card if your budget won't allow for both at once. Your motherboard does have on-board video.

I would go for option three if you have the cash. I suggest the ASUS HD 5770 Cu Core 1GB and a Thermaltake 500W LitePower PSU. You could get the ASUS HD 5750 1GB if you don't have the cash for the 5770.

Edited by DJBPace07, 25 May 2010 - 12:21 AM.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users