Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirect and others

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aftercolours

Aftercolours

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

Hello, I believe I have the google redirect virus and I have other problems as well. I use Windows XP Professional. Ran a Malware Bytes scans and got nothing. :thumbsup: Here are my symptoms:
-Google redirect
-Slower computer performance, lots of pages freezing and windows randomly close
-Random changes... such as yesterday, I was watching a video in WMP and the sound worked just fine, but when I closed the fullscreen the taskbar at the bottom was gone. After a while it came back, but the theme randomly changed from "Zune" to "Windows Classic", and I could not change it back in the Properties. Also, after that, my sound was not working and when I try to click the Sound icon in the control panel, it says there is no mixer device. However, the device manager says my sound devices are working fine.

I'm also a little wary of ComboFix... I ran it once in the instructions of another forum, and it uninstalled my Windows XP and I had to re-install. Will this happen again if I am forced to run it? Please and thank you for your help!

Edit: For some reason, the music on websites and windows sounds work... however, when I try to open an audio file on here it does not and opening the sound control panel will still not work. :flowers:

Edited by Aftercolours, 22 May 2010 - 01:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Make sure the Sections option is checked (in the right hand panel). Leave all other options unchecked!
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users