Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Replacing an old desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nosignal

nosignal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

I'm in the market for a new computer. I have a little knowledge about the important parts to look at when comparing systems (ram, processor speed, and hard drive space). My problem is I don't know how things like the system bus affects the performance, and how different processors (amd, intel, triple core, quad core) compare to each other.

My budget is $300-$600 (of course cheaper is always better, but I don't want to sacrifice quality). I've been trying to find the best deals for that price range and I've come up with a few options.

Primary uses of the computer will be audio production, design work (flash, photoshop, etc), listening to music, surfing the web. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

Software I plan on using, as mentioned above, flash, photoshop, itunes, cubase, and other various audio programs.

I don't play many games besides the usual card games that come on the computer.
I usually have multiple programs running at a time when using my computer, so having a good amount of ram and a powerful processor is a strong point for me.
And as stated before, I do store a nice amount of music and pictures on my computer.

I've skimmed a couple sites trying to find some good deals, and have compiled the following list for the convenience of everyone.
Compaq
Presario - $385

Dell
Inspiron - $519
Inspiron i570 - $578

Gateway
Desktop with Intel i3 processor - $559

Asus
Essentio - $499

HP
AMD Athalon II Quad-core - $499
AMD Phenom II X4 - $549
Pavilion P6402F - $518
Pavilion A4310F Desktop PC with AMD Athlon II X2 250U Dual-Core - $483
Pavilion S5310F Desktop PC with AMD Athlon II X2 250 Dual-Core - $480
Pavilion P6310F Desktop PC with AMD Athlon II 630 Quad-Core Processor - $478

ZT
Affinity - $568

These all seem like good options, but I'm not sure how to make my decision. Like I stated above, I usually multitask so I like the idea of having more ram. There are a couple systems that seem like a really nice deal(asus, one of the inpirons), but have a low system bus with 800MHz and like I said, I'm not sure how that affects the rest of the computer. The HP's offer a lot of nice specs as well. Any help is appreciated. I'm always open to other suggestions too!

Thanks a ton!
Eric

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosignal

nosignal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

okay, I've narrowed my original list down to fewer systems. I got some suggestions from other people stating that i would benefit from a quad core processor.

HP
HP Pavilion P6310F - 2.8GHz athlon II quad-core, 6gb ram, 1TB hard drive - $598
e9300z series - this would be the base model which has, 2.9GHz athlon quad-core, 6gb ram, 640GB hard drive - $579

Cyberpower
A102 Desktop - 2.6GHz athlon II quad-core, 4gb ram, 500GB hard drive - $538

ZT
Affinity 7358Ma - 3.0GHz phenom II quad-core, 4gb ram, 500GB hard drive - $579
Affinity 7354Ma - 3.0GHz phenom II quad-core, 6gb ram, 1TB hard drive - $568

Any input is welcome

Edited by nosignal, 30 May 2010 - 07:05 PM.

#3 certifiedgeek

certifiedgeek

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi nosignal,

I've looked at all of them and think for basic computer use you can't go wrong with any of them.

I would also put some weight with the brand you might like best. If I was in the market for a desktop, I would probably get an Intel chip since they have had a leg up on AMD for a bit now, but it might be more expensive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users