Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't connect to antivirus websites

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ScottKar

ScottKar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Hello,

First off, thank you very much for taking the time to read this post :thumbsup: . I'm just starting a new career as the IT Support person for my office and hope to help others once I get some experience under my belt.

Brief description:
My XP Pro Gateway desktop must be infected with something b/c I cannot update my recently installed McAfee antivirus (message says I must connect to the Internet before it can do an update. However, I AM connected - my browsers can get to most websites). Moreover, both my browsers (Firefox and Safari) are not able to connect to any of the major antivirus websites like McAfee.com or Norton.com ("Server Not Found. Firefox can't find the server at www.norton.com"). I AM able to update some anti-malware (SpyBot, Malwarebytes). However, complete scans came up with nothing.

Recent Actions Taken:
Today: Downloaded, installed and ran ComboFix.
2-3 days ago: Downloaded, installed, UPDATED and ran: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Did a complete scan. It found a few things which it removed. UPDATED and ran SpyBot S&D. It found nothing.

Computer HW/SW
Gateway Desktop GT5228 with AMD Anthlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor, 2.21 GHz, 1.87GB RAM
XP Media Center Edition V. 2002, SP3
Firefox 3.6.3 Safari 4.0.5 McAfee SecurityCenter 2090

More History

4 days ago, the Trend Micro antivirus SW that I installed about 10 months ago was acting funny. So, I tried to run a scan but the program seemed to have vanished. I could not bring it up from the ?taskbar (the icons on the bottom right). I could not bring it from from Start> All Program > Trend Micro. It just wouldn't come up.

Next, I uninstalled Trend Micro SW and installed McAfee 2009 Antivirus from a CD. It installed fine but when I tried to update the virus definitions, it said that my computer was not connected to the Internet. I actually was connected as I was able to get to my normal websites (NY Times, Yahoo, etc.) from Safari and Firefox. It was then that I discovered that my browsers could not connect to the www.mcafee.com site. I then found out neither browsers would connect to other major antivirus sites (e.g. Norton, Symantec, Kaspersky). I realized that something was preventing my computer from reaching antivirus sites. Gulp.

Thanks again for reading this and any assistance you might be able to provide. I have the ComboFix log. I didn't see anything explicitly wrong but then again I don't know what to look for.

Scott Kariya
New York City

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScottKar

ScottKar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:01 AM

Update 5/22/10 12 noon.

I updated and ran a Quick Scan using Malwarebytes' AntiMalware. It froze at 7 min 33 sec.

The frozen screen reads:

Objects scanned: 15541
Objects infected: 0

Currently scanning:
Scanning additional items on your computer

- Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users