Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:56 AM

I'm looking into building/upgrading my current computer into something that will last me a few years and provide me with the power to run the top games and programs on the market such as: Autodesk Maya, Abletons Live, Propellerheads Reason, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Starcraft 2, Star Wars The Old Republic, Camtasia Studio, World of Warcraft, Crysis, World in Conflict, etc.

I use my computer for high end gaming and media editing/developing as you can see. I have an extra OS disc and will not need to worry about that. Here are a few parts I currently have:
1 TB WD HDD 6Gb/s 7200 rpm SATA
160 GB WD HDD IDE (I'd prefer to replace with a SSD for my OS and installed software- around 60-80 GB)
1 TB External Maxtor HDD
320 GB External Seagate HDD
Logitech 5.1 Surround sound Speakers
Hanns-G LCD Monitor I think about 19" (would like to do dual or triple monitor setup)
CD/DVD R/RW SATA Drive (I'd like a 2nd with DL burning abilities as well)

I know of a case I would prefer but if you have any better suggestions feel free to input.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811103026

Also I was looking at this post and noticed this would do well for my use with a bit of tweaking, I would not need the TV Tuner for example.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/318265/computer-build-comments-suggestions/

A budget around the same price of about 1,500 would be nice.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 03:15 AM

I've used this build on other posts, such as the one you referenced, but I think it will do well here too. I would remove the TV tuner and OS from the previous build. I would add a sound card since you are using a fairly high-end audio setup. I am unsure of what you mean by a second drive with DL (Dual Layer?) burning abilities, but I will post a second drive.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP - Large cards should really be used in a full-ATX case. The reason is these cases are more spread out and can accomodate more fans and vents, allowing for better temperature control. When selecting a case, keep in mind that shipping will be expensive. If possible, go for the ones that have free shipping. $139

Motherboard: ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 - This is one of the best AMD motherboards on the market with support for AM3 CPU's, Crossfire, SATA 6, and USB 3. AMD motherboards don't have a triple-channel memory design like some of the higher-end Intel boards. However, unless you play true 64-bit games, of which there are few that run x64 natively, you will be fine with a dual channel design. $154

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz - This is AMD's flagship 6-core CPU. It holds its own against the processor you selected and most other CPU's in the $300 range. However, there are few games that can use all six cores. There are applications, like Handbrake, that love more cores so those will easily harness the power of this processor. With heavily threaded applications, this will outperform other CPU's at it's price point. With games that take advantage of four cores, it runs similar to the Phenom II X4 955, with three or fewer cores utilized, it runs a little ahead of the Phenom II X4 965. This CPU also has an automatic overclocking ability, as denoted by the "T" at the end of 1090, which acts sort of like Intel's Turbo Boost overclocking up to three individal cores automatically. If you want a less expensive alternative, the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz will work too, though it is technically slower with four cores. Both processors are Black Edition's which have unlocked multipliers, allowing for easy overclocking. $309

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0319RU 850W - Thermaltake makes good PSU's and 850W will easily handle this PC and even a Crossfire setup. Other PSU makers to consider include Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ, and PC Power. $119 (Before $25 mail-in rebate)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Overclocking RAM is usually not suggested with current high-performance kits, as the gain usually isn't that much. DDR3-1600 is plenty, and you could even use 1333, but I chose 1600 since the price difference is low. $109

Graphics Card: BIOSTAR VA5855NPG2 Radeon HD 5850 1GB - Since the motherboard has an AMD chipset and allows for Crossfire, not SLI, an ATI board is suggested. This is one of the high-end GPU's that ATI has and will run circles around most of Nvidia's current generation of graphics cards. This GPU, like all of ATI's Radeon 5 series, supports DirectX 11, EyeFinity, and runs cooler than previous cards. If you have extra cash on hand, you could get the HIS H587FN1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB which is about 20% faster and is ATI's flagship single GPU. $299

SSD: OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX30GXXX 30GB - An SSD will shorten boot times. Remember, once an application has been loaded into memory, your hard drive type doesn't increase performance. Therefore, I chose a lower capacity drive with a lower price point. This drive is only to install Windows on. $106 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card - I like the Xonar line of sound cards, they are solid with a good driver set. This one should work well for audio playback, however, if you use optical or coax inputs, you may want a different card, like the HT | OMEGA STRIKER. If you are into music creation, you may want to go to Asus' premium Xonar D2X. $89

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo Drive - Bulk SATA Model SH-B083L/BSBP LightScribe Support - I wasn't sure what you wanted with DL burning. This drive will write to DVD's (Including DL) and CD's. It will also playback, not record, Blu-Ray disc's. If you want Blu-Ray recording abilities, you could consider the Pioneer Black Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA Model BDR-205BKS. If you don't want Blu-Ray, you can keep what you've got or buy a simple DVD burner, like the LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04. $89

Grand Total: $1,421 (Before rebates and shipping)

3939.png

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

By DL, I had mean't Dual Layer sorry for the confusion. Also, with the software I have installed currently I am taking up around 60 GB of space and this is without the media software such as Fruity loops, in which I would be needing a SSD more around the size of about 80 GB or so. I am not very concerned about blu-ray for an optical drive and I am into music creation. Also if you were able to work in an extra monitor or something it would be nice but isn't necessary. It is ok to go a little over budget just try to stick as close as you can while adding needed hardware.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:20 AM

We could get you a larger SSD, such as the OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II or the OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2-1VTX120G 2.5" 120GB SATA II, however, once your computer starts, there is little to gain from an SSD in terms of speed. SSD's are great when it comes to frequent reads and writes of the hard drive, but if all you're doing is loading an application in an already booted system, the speed at which the program launches shouldn't vary by more than a few seconds. Since you don't need Blu-ray, you can go for the Lite-on drive I chose, which is inexpensive and has DVD+R DL burning capabilities. Depending on your case layout, you may need an adapter for the SSD as it is 2.5 inches and the hard drive bay is 3.5 inches. You could also get the SilverStone SDP08 3.5" to 2 x 2.5" Bay Converter. An extra monitor will increase the cost of this PC by a large amount. That said, I suggest the following monitors:

ASUS MS202N Glossy Piano-Black / White 20" - I'm impressed with Asus' monitors, they're stylish and offer excellent image quality at an affordable price. This is a small monitor, so it cannot do 1080p nor will it allow for HDMI. $139

ASUS MS Series MS228H Black / Blue 21.5" 2ms(GTG) - This is an LED backlit panel, which means it is capable of deeper blacks and lower energy consumption than standard fluorescent monitors. This is a 1080p capable monitor with HDMI, but it doesn't have built-in speakers. $189

ASUS MS238H Glossy Black 23" - This is identical to the monitor above, only larger. $209

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users