Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN XP not recognizing new USB flash/hardware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 somabid888

somabid888

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:06 AM

Howdy ~

Probably showing my ignorance here, but ~ as the topic says, I can't get my Windows XP PC to recognize new USB flash drives or USB devices (external DVD drive). It asks for the driver software for plug-n-play devices, and it is infuriating!

Weird thing is, that it still recognizes previously loaded USB flash drives and devices, so I figure I have to "clean something out" to get it done ~ I just have no clue what to do wihtout potentially making it worse. Any thoughts?

Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600
Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz
RAM 4096 MB
Plenty of hard disk space (couple of Gbytes)

This is what comes up when I plug in a new USB device:
[Popup}
Welcome to the Found New Hardware Wizard
This wizard helps you intstall software for: [x]

If your hardware come with an installation CD of floppy disk, insert it now.

What do you want the wizard to do? [install the software] [install foma list or specific location] Click Next to continue

Of course, it cannot find the installation software no matter what is done (cd software, search computer, downloading drivers from manuafaturer, etc.).

Stuck here! Hope someone can help ~ thanks.

Soma

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:04 PM

USB problems can sometimes be solved by uninstalling the USB controllers through Device Manager, rebooting and allowing the OS to reinstall them. This has been known to fix the problem.

If your new drives came with CDs, you should cancel the Hardware Wizard and install
the new drives from the manufacturers' CDs, IMO.

That advice appears on the first 'Wizard' screen.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

More documentation on General USB Problems in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users