Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heat Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dandy0850

dandy0850

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:20 AM

Ive been getting a serious CPU heat problem - although no system errors or shutdowns

Readings from CPUID temps range from 52 degrees up to 65+ noramally idles as 33-34
The odd thing is the wattage readings always seem a constant 117 when temp is rising - does this mean a motherboard issue maybe - voltage regulator - as seems ok when initially switch on although then wattage readings are then at 16................Help

I havent changed anything recently (hardware)

Ive tried Changing PSU no difference (whilst changing PSU i also changed GC as other PSU never supplied enough to run) - still high temps after a while
System is all upto date and virus checkers have been run.
Heatsink and Heatpaste not checked although why would the wattage readings change if it were just the paste - which should be fine !!! ( i obv dont know for sure)
Ive checked readings using Everest pro and also have high temp readings in BIOS (52 Degrees). Nothing seems un-toward in process explorer but if high wattage is system really idle ???

Presuming Im left with Motherboard and/or CPU !!!
Both of which cant be checked without new ones have nothing to swap with.

CPU Athlon 64 X4 Phenom 3.4ghz GPU Nvidia 260GTX
MOBO msi 770-c45
Windows 7 64 bit (8 GIG Ram)

All been running fine until noticed yesterday but may been doing for a while as no shutdowns

Any advise as to next course of action would help ( I think Ive included everything)

The thing bothering me is the wattage power readings and should these change ? Should it fluctuate up toward 120w the board/cpu max thus drawing wattage to full capacity and the obv causing the heat to rise ! Or should it be stable at 117 ????? Or stable when idling at a lower reading?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:01 AM

Check your heatsink fan ensure there is no debris or dust build up also check system case fans also.

Clear any dust or debris on motherboard and other components use a mini vac if you have one or buy one from local computer store.

Try not to touch components when using vac tho.

Remove old thermal paste off cpu with tim remover and replace with a fresh thin layer.

If fans are old you may want to consider replacing them and maybe buy a more heavy duty heatsink fan for the cpu.

As well as a fan pulling cool air into the system having fans that pull hot air out of the system would be good situated on top of case or top to the rear, depends on design of case.

Hope this helps.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#3 dandy0850

dandy0850
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:33 AM

Many thanks for your response - When i changed the PSU in attempts to troubleshoot i blew all thru with compressed air (system isnt that old)
I had been watching for an hour or so as didn want to sit and watch my CPU explode by watching for long lengths of time, the resource monitor and have now noticed the - wmpnetwork.exe file running and using massive amounts of CPU usage ???
I've disabled as was set for 'delayed start' and at the moment (this being after a reboot and approx 20-25 minutes) all is good temps are fine at 31 degrees and stable CPU voltage seems to be fluctuating between 16w and 52w and I am hopeful Ive found the issue

Wondering now if this is Virul? or Windows 7 issue maybe AMD ? All very odd !

Once again many thanks for you guidance

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:59 AM

This should fix it:

Just disable windows media player sharing and discovery (under library sharing under the library tab)

Edited by computerxpds, 22 May 2010 - 07:00 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users