Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to know the bit of processor and Operating system

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:03 AM

Sir how do i'll know if my processor is 64 bit or 32 bit? My processor is Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz. And also I want to know what is the bit of my operating system installed. Is there any way how would I know those things? Because I'm afraid of the possibilities that my processor's bit is not the same as operating system bit. Although what if that happened, is it bad?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:43 AM

No it is not bad, you are most likely running windows xp 32 bit do you have service pack 3? Also yes your processor supports "intel 64" or 64 bit operating systems, http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pe...-core/specs.htm yours is the last one on the list E2140 :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 theinvulnerable

theinvulnerable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

No it is not bad, you are most likely running windows xp 32 bit do you have service pack 3? Also yes your processor supports "intel 64" or 64 bit operating systems, http://www.intel.com/products/processor/pe...-core/specs.htm yours is the last one on the list E2140 :trumpet:

So it means what whatever the bit of my processor, it is nothing to do with whatever operating system bit I would like to install in my pc? Ok now I get it. I thought it has conflict with each other. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your assistance sir. :flowers:

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

yep and with older non 64bit processor you CANNOT install a 64 bit os on a 32 bit only processor but you can install both on a 64 bit supported processor. :thumbsup:

And You are very welcome
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:26 AM

FWIW: I believe that any processor more recent than P4s...are 64-bit CPUs.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/105

Any multicore CPU is 64-bit capable.

Loui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users