Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovering Program off HardDrive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:01 AM

I have an old PII that has a database program which has its own proprierity language. My motherboard is on its way out and there is this program I want moved unto another PC. I have tried slaving the drive ...but it does not see the program. Of course the drive will not boot on another mobo, and the age of the technology I cannot get another mobo.
The database program is more than 2 years old with many entries so its not like I can just reinstall a new copy of it on the new pc. I need this database informatiion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:07 AM

Put the drive back into the old computer.

Use your new pc to get the suggested downloads.

You could then try booting the old pc with a Linux Live CD, to see if you can still read the drive.
If so, you can copy what you want, onto a flash / external drive.

Ubuntu is popular

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

It's about a 700MB download of the ISO, which you need to burn to a CD;
if you are not familiar with ISOs, you can't just copy the file to a CD, it has to be burned correctly.

Programs for burning ISOs - ( ImgBurn is popular, but do not install the Ask Toolbar ):

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.html

You don't have to install, you just boot up with the CD and select the appropriate option,
(ignoring the Install option), from the Menu.

This procedure may get you your information, (your databases);
If you don't know where the program stores the databases, you should be able to find this out
by Googling for the information.

You will still have to install the database program on your new PC;
It is not really possible to just copy it over. (missing registry entries, etc.)

You will have to check for any updates to the database program, to ensure it will work with
your new system. (2 years is not very old, IMO).

Main page for Pedigree Software Program - Breeders Assistant (Is this the one?).

http://www.tenset.co.uk/ba/index.html

Edited by petewills , 22 May 2010 - 07:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users