Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got a tough infection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigoaktree

bigoaktree

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:07 AM

Wish I could identify which bit of malware I've gotten, but after running Malwarebytes a couple of times, I still don't know what it is or how to be rid of it. I've never encountered malware this persistent before. I have not yet received any scareware, all I know is that whenever I am on the network, I get a slew of traffic from some Russian IP's. I got this bit of malware from a USB stick which I had put into another PC. Even though I knew there was an infection in the PC, like a fool I did not format the USB drive after and ran a program later on my own PC which got me the infection.

Anyway, I'm running Windows XP SP3. I am not sure what other information you need here. I'd love just to be able to identify what this sucker is and try to tackle it myself after reading up on how to defeat it. Some suggestions would be wonderful, thanks!

Edit: After doing some research and mucking around, I now know what I have is Virut. This thing is nasty. Any advice on how to get rid of it is most welcome.

Edited by bigoaktree, 22 May 2010 - 07:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

Hello,

How do you know you have Virut?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hello please run an MBAM scan and post the log. We would like to confirm Virut first.

You will also need to reformat the flash drive// How Do You Reformat a USB Flash Drive?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users