Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Boot Error Insert Windows CD and Press Enter

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:14 AM

I'm recieving the error in the topic at boot on two computers. Both when attempting to format with a new OS. I have tried clearing the bios/cmos removing the battery on the mobo and putting it back in and also defaulting the bios and booting from diagnostic cds like hirens and ubcd and even an xp pro cd. I haven't been able to get past this any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:43 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Does the installation process start up at all?

Exactly when is this error showing up?

Do you have the hard drives auto-detected in the computers BIOS setup utility?

You have to enter the BIOS setup utility and make sure the system has detected the hard drives before you can attempt an installation on them.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:21 AM

The installation process does not start at all, it goes straight to the black screen with the error when it boots after the POST. Also it is a Western Digital HD which shows up under the bios though it shows up under drive 2 with nothing under drive 1, not sure if that would cause something like this. And Also, I have tried attempting to boot from a Windows CD and it boots straight to the black error screen. Thanks for the help so far.

Edited by SmokeViper07, 22 May 2010 - 07:30 AM.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like there was an old installation on the HD. I would check the disk integrity with the manufacturers tool and then low level format the drive with the same tool.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

I've tried, it won't boot from anything without going to the black error screen. And to confirm yes there was a previous install.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Media used for this reformat/install effort?

This is a SATA hard drive?

Louis

#7 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:01 PM

Louis

Not trying to be rude but please read previous posts before asking questions that have already been answered multiple times.

If your talking about the PC it is a HP Pavillion Slimline, don't have the exact model number on me atm , if your talking about the HDD it is a Western Digital 160GB SATA HD

Windows XP Professional 32 bit disc followed by Hiren's Boot CD, Ultimate Boot CD, basically anything to try to get it to boot once the error came up

Again, it is a SATA

#8 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

The computer is a hp pavillion slimline s3307c it will now boot my diagnostic cds, hirens and ubcd and even ubuntu live although when attempting to boot from the ubuntu disc or install ubuntu it fails giving a screen full of errors and when using hdd diagnostic software from hirens it gives memory errors and errors saying it cannot find particular .dll files

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

Where I come from..."system" means "computer system" not close to "hard drive."

Sorry to have bothered you :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

you need to use the the diagnostic software from Western Digital in order to get a true error check and low level format. If you continually get errors than yor memory is suspect.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#11 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

Find memtest 86 tool from link below to test memory port it to cd or usb memory stick do five passes can take a long time run it overnight.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

#12 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

I believe I have found the solution, if I am correct I will post with the outcome for others. My thought is a corrupted hard drive, I am replacing it today to figure out if it is indeed the culprit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users