Windows Vista x64 (SP2, and fully updated)
Intel Core 2 Duo T5250 @ 1.5 GHz and 1.5 GHz
4 GB RAM
ESET Smart Security 4
Malware-Bytes (free version)
I opened task manager and noticed that my CPU usage was hovering around 50%; using Resource monitor, I found that the culprit was svchost.exe (secsvc) which, through Google, I found was related to Windows Defender. Neither ESS4 nor MBAM have picked up anything on past scans, and ESS4 is not detecting any problems in real-time scanning. It eventually stops hogging CPU usage, but this problem has occurred on multiple start-ups about 20 minutes after I log in. This seemingly started occuring after Windows Defender updated today, but I do not know what kind of problem it is.
For this forum's instructions, I am attaching the DDS report, but not the GMER report. DDS worked but GMER did not (only the bottom three checkboxes were able to be toggled checked/unchecked).
Thank you for your help.
As an update (day after), it appears I just stumbled onto a background Windows Defender scan and did not know what it was. svchost (secsvc) is back to normal CPU usage. If there is a problem, then it is not showing itself now.
Edited by infinitys_7th, 22 May 2010 - 10:19 AM.