Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fast User Switching Causing Problems?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wendyod10

wendyod10

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:26 PM

My husband and i have separate accounts on Windows XP - when he logs off mine and switches users, the screen goes black and we have to hard reboot every time - I have a Dell Inspiron 5160, Service Pack 2 installed - XP Home, Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz, 512 mb ram - i have run anti spyware programs galore and nothing has turned up

I had narrowed it down to my startup entries but i cannot figure out the ONE that is causing it - Oldtimer reviewed my HT log and sees no malware and suggested i post in this forum for help with configuration, etc

Would Spybot's Tea Timer cause a problem? i am at a loss - this computer is not even 1 year old and Dell refuses to help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:41 PM

See if this will solve your problem.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Line #34 (left side)

If this does not work:

What video card do you have?

#3 wendyod10

wendyod10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:55 AM

Sorry, i am not the best at this stuff - i was not sure how to do the regisry thing -

How do I figure out what my video card is? thanks for your patience -

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:18 AM

Click on the link to Kelly's page then go to Line #34 and click on the link on the left side that reads Restore Fast User Switching then click Run and see it will solve your problem.

Kelly's Page:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

You can find the video card by going to the Device Manager>Click the + sign by Display Adapter and you will see the name of your video adapter.

Device Manager:
Right Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware Tab>Device Manager Button

Edited by River_Rat, 03 October 2005 - 07:19 AM.

#5 wendyod10

wendyod10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:45 AM

Ok, thank you -

the video card is XGI Volari-XP5 v 2.113.DELL_C

#6 wendyod10

wendyod10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:57 AM

It didn't work :thumbsup:

I restarted and did the switch and it didn't go into the normal 'loading personal settings', it just brings me back to the user account icons in an endless loop without starting the actual account up - does that make sense?

#7 wendyod10

wendyod10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 07:35 AM

Does anyone have any other ideas? I am at the point of reinstalling Windows - i just know that a <1 year old computer shouldn't act like this - i can't believe Dell won't help me with this issue - it is beyond aggravating

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users