Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BigRig

BigRig

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

Hi folks,

New here so I'll make my first post easy(not even sure if this goes here).

I have very little space left on my old 80G HDD and I am planning on getting a new 750G or 1T tomorrow. My question is about keeping the old drive to hold my OS and any system tools (AVG, MBAM etc), and the new one for multimedia and games etc. I don't have anyone personally to help me, so I come to you guys. I know something needs to be done with master/slave I think, and then I want to save songs, pics, games.

Can I just move all my songs, pics games etc over to the new HDD after I get it installed and then do a clean install onto the old one with my OS and tools?

Or do I have this all wrong and sound as uninformed as I feel?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

I'm new too: this is my second post.

First you need to say whether your old hard drive and the hard drive you are buying use IDE or SATA cables. Judging that your old HD is 80GB, I bet it's IDE. IDE is the very wide flat cable that is usually grey. SATA is flat but not near as wide, only about one centimeter wide, and it's usually red. If your drives do use IDE, you will have to mess with the master and slave. If they use SATA, you don't have to worry about it. If your old drive is IDE and your motherboard has SATA support, buy a SATA drive and you won't have to worry about Master and Slave.

The following information would be helpful
1) Old hard drive model (or just the cable interface)
2) Motherboard Model number
3) And new hard drive model number if you already know it.
4) Your computer brand/model number would be helpful if your computer was bought prebuilt.

"Can I just move all my songs, pics games etc over to the new HDD after I get it installed and then do a clean install onto the old one with my OS and tools?"
-Yes you can. It is a good idea to have the OS on it's own HDD or partition and media/storage on the other HD. That way, you can reformat without having to worry about losing your music, pictures, etc.

#3 BigRig

BigRig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:33 AM

Thanks a lot Luke :thumbsup:

My old HD is SATA but its a yellow cable(don't think that matters :huh: ) I'm at work right now so I don't know my part #'s but the HDD that I'm going to get is SATA also. I'm glad I don't have to do the master slave thing. Will I be prompted to partition the new drive since it is going to be so big? Or do I have to do that on install? I know my dad did his but it is only 160G, I'm getting 750G or bigger.

Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

<<Will I be prompted to partition the new drive since it is going to be so big?>>

Partitioning/formatting...is what makes the hard drive useful. Your options for determining the size of the system partition (the one on which Windows is installed) are, in part, determined by the media you use to install Windows. A MS Genuine XP CD should give you the option of determining the partition size, whereas using OEM (HP, eMachines, etc.) media may not give you such option, since those media are probably designed to use the entire hard drive.

The advantages of creating multiple partitions on a large hard drive...probably lie in the area of maintenance.

Running chkdsk /r or defragging or scanning a very large partition...can take much more time than scanning/maintaining a relatively small system partition.

Partitioning also provides minimal protection against having a problem on one part of the drive...prevent the user from gaining any use/access of the remaining hard drive space. Two or more drives would be better, IMO, but I've never favored putting all my eggs in one basket.

Louis

#5 BigRig

BigRig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

Wow, thanks for the insight Louis. I have an OEM machine, so we'll see when I install. I am keeping the OS and system tools on the old drive since it's smaller. Gonna put the media on the newer drive. I got a seagate Barracuda 1TB. I am about to go do my thang right now :thumbsup:

Thanks again Louis and Luke for the input, I appreciate it very much.

#6 BigRig

BigRig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:57 PM

Thank you guys for helping, got my HDD installed and everything is up and running great. You rock :huh: :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

Nice work on your part...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users