Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Build. comments? suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

I'm building a computer by ordering parts of Newegg.
Here's what I got so far...

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-614-_-Product

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-225-_-Product

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...5-236-_-Product

SSD:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820167023

Graphics Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130339

Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139009

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129066

TV Tuner:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16815116028

Operating System:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116758

For storage I am using an old 250GB Sata hard drive. I also have a 4TB NAS for extra storage.
I already have two DL DVD/RW SATA drives.
I also already have a 24" LCD

Quick Specs
i7 2.8Ghz Intel CPU
DDR3 1600 3X2GB dimms
Asus LGA1366 mobo
GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB Evga PCI express 2.0
Windows 7 64bit OEM
850 watt Corsair PSU
HD TV Tuner
Sata II SSD 80GB

This system I am wanting to build is around $1500. I am not sure if everything is completely compatible or not. Also, I am not dead set at all on any of these parts,
so if someone has a better suggestion for something I would greatly appreciate it.

Please, I would really like any comments or advice, such as a better or cheaper part.

I have a question as well. The Asus motherboard that I want to buy has this as its RAM specs: Memory Standard DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066
Currently I have DDR3 1600 RAM chosen out, but my motherboard supports DDR3 2000. The only thing that makes me worry is that the 2000 has OverClock next to it.
Does that mean I can use DDR3 2000 RAM and the motherboard will accept it? Or do I need to overclock the motherboard? Or do I have to Overclock the RAM somehow.
I am completely lost.

Any comments at all are greatly appreciated!

Edited by Luke L, 21 May 2010 - 09:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:17 AM

It looks good, aside from that outdated GPU and small-ish case, though I do have an alternate build. I will exclude items you already have.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP - The GTX 9800 and any large high-performance card, like the one I have selected, should really be used in a full-ATX case. The reason is these cases are more spread out and can accomodate more fans and vents, allowing for better temperature control. When selecting a case, keep in mind that shipping will be expensive. If possible, go for the ones that have free shipping. $139

Motherboard: ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 - This is one of the best AMD motherboards on the market with support for AM3 CPU's, Crossfire, SATA 6, and USB 3. AMD motherboards don't have a triple-channel memory design like some of the higher-end Intel boards. However, unless you play true 64-bit games, of which there are few that run x64 natively, you will be fine with a dual channel design. $154

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz - This is AMD's flagship 6-core CPU. It holds its own against the processor you selected and most other CPU's in the $300 range. However, there are few games that can use all six cores. There are applications, like Handbrake, that love more cores so those will easily harness the power of this processor. With heavily threaded applications, this will outperform other CPU's at it's price point. With games that take advantage of four cores, it runs similar to the Phenom II X4 955, with three or fewer cores utilized, it runs a little ahead of the Phenom II X4 965. This CPU also has an automatic overclocking ability, as denoted by the "T" at the end of 1090, which acts sort of like Intel's Turbo Boost overclocking up to three individal cores automatically. If you want a less expensive alternative, the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz will work too, though it is technically slower with four cores. Both processors are Black Edition's which have unlocked multipliers, allowing for easy overclocking. $309

Power Supply: Thermaltake W0319RU 850W - Thermaltake makes good PSU's and 850W will easily handle this PC and even a Crossfire setup. Other PSU makers to consider include Corsair, Seasonic, OCZ, and PC Power. $119 (Before $25 mail-in rebate)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Overclocking RAM is usually not suggested with current high-performance kits, as the gain usually isn't that much. DDR3-1600 is plenty, and you could even use 1333, but I chose 1600 since the price difference is low. Most RAM manufacturers don't bother with uber-high end speeds anymore and have gone to SSD's. Anytime you see "O.C." listed in a motherboard specifications, that means you may have to tell the motherboard to run the RAM at those speeds since it is an overclocked setting. $109

Graphics Card: BIOSTAR VA5855NPG2 Radeon HD 5850 1GB - Since the motherboard has an AMD chipset and allows for Crossfire, not SLI, an ATI board is suggested. This is one of the high-end GPU's that ATI has and will run circles around a 9800 GTX and most of Nvidia's current generation of graphics cards. This GPU, like all of ATI's Radeon 5 series, supports DirectX 11, EyeFinity, and runs cooler than previous cards. If you have extra cash on hand, you could get the HIS H587FN1GD Radeon HD 5870 1GB which is about 20% faster and is ATI's flagship single GPU. $299

TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 Hybrid - I kept your original card. This card, and almost all current cards on the market, will not decrypt certain digital channels, like pay-per-view channels. $49 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

SSD: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 80GB - Again, I kept your original choice. 80GB should be more than enough to install the OS and one or two other applications. An SSD will not increase performance in games since once the game is loaded, it largely resides in memory. $214

OS: Windows Home Premium 64-bit - There is absolutely no reason for a home user to use the Professional version of Windows 7. Unless you need EFS, Windows XP emulation (Don't get too excited over this, game performance isn't good with it), or domain joining, you don't need it. For a full comparison, see this. $99

Grand Total: $1,499 (Before rebates and shipping)

Edited by DJBPace07, 22 May 2010 - 12:31 AM.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:41 AM

Main thing to reconsider is the videocard. That's an awfully old videocard to be putting in a new system like that. I would consider something newer (don't want to push you to ATI, but......). If you plan to use an HDMI cable, then a videocard with native HDMI sound will be nice to have.

CPU cooling. For a stock system with no overclock, then the INTEL cooler will work. Any overclocking though (and they do overclock like mad), and you will need a proper tower cooler, or some sort of low end water cooling (like an H50 Corsair). Those CPUs get hot quick. The stock cooler lasted about two hours on my 920 before I threw in the towel.

Ditto on a larger case with good flow.

As far as the rest of the build, looks tight. I would build something pretty close to that (except for the SSD as I am a tightwad) if I were to do another 1366 build.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Luke L

Luke L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

Main thing to reconsider is the videocard. That's an awfully old videocard to be putting in a new system like that. I would consider something newer (don't want to push you to ATI, but......). If you plan to use an HDMI cable, then a videocard with native HDMI sound will be nice to have.

CPU cooling. For a stock system with no overclock, then the INTEL cooler will work. Any overclocking though (and they do overclock like mad), and you will need a proper tower cooler, or some sort of low end water cooling (like an H50 Corsair). Those CPUs get hot quick. The stock cooler lasted about two hours on my 920 before I threw in the towel.

Ditto on a larger case with good flow.

As far as the rest of the build, looks tight. I would build something pretty close to that (except for the SSD as I am a tightwad) if I were to do another 1366 build.

Thanks for the video card advice, I will definitely get a newer one instead. I had no idea on what video card to get, so I just got one with the most 5-star reviews. I will research video cards a bit more.

I do plan to get into overclocking and forgot about the cooler. I do have some arctic silver 5 thermal paste though!

Thanks a ton for the response.

#5 Luke L

Luke L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

@Djbpace07
Thanks for the extensive response.

About CPU and Mobo, I think I want to stay with intel, just because that has been what I traditionally got, and I hear Intel's coming out with a faster, cooler processor for the LGA 1366 socket? I don't know, but thanks for the info.

About Windows, I just wanted the Premium so that I would be able to back up to network attached storages. In fact, I looked it up and I would need ultimate edition. But i don't think that is really worth for the 60-70 extra dollars I would pay. I could just take an old hard drive and back up to that. Yeah, I'm going to change to your suggested Windows.

About the case, I do like the idea of full atx towers. I don't think I will choose that particular case but I will choose an ATX full tower.

About the RAM, i will take your word for it. I think I would be better off running at 1600 than overclocking to 2000, for it will not have too much of an effect, as you suggested. I will stay with ddr3 1600 RAM. Also, do you suggest GSkill ripjaw ram over the corsair I picked out?

Thanks a ton for giving me your build suggestion, It showed me there's a lot I haven't even touched on yet.

#6 Luke L

Luke L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

Ok, I see what you mean by an outdated graphics card. Is this a better choice?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150439

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 02:08 AM

I will answer the following questions:

About the CPU and Mobo: The Phenom II X6 runs in most applications, similarly to the CPU you have chosen however, with two additional cores, highly threaded applications will see an even greater boost over the i7 930. It is possible to get to 4GHz. on the Phenom II X6 1090T using a good air cooler and the process is very simple since the multiplier is unlocked. The Phenom II X6 1090T is $20 more than the i7 930. The i7 930 is not an Extreme Edition CPU and thus its multiplier is locked. Also, the motherboard I chose is less expensive and has similar features, minus the triple channel which may not offer much of a performance benefit, for much less. I've used both Intel and AMD processors, my current CPU which is in the computer I'm using now is a Core 2 Q9450, but I also have an older Athlon 64 X2 computer as well. The newer processors you are referring to are Intel's 6 and 8 core CPU's, which will probably be extremely expensive if their new $999 Gulftown CPU is to be comparable to them. Note that Intel is also preparing for new CPU's code named Sandy Bridge, due out in 2011, and these CPU's will use a different socket called LGA 2011. Upgrade paths between Intel and AMD do differ, with AMD sticking with a socket for several years, in this case AM3, which will be around for a while longer, and Intel changing sockets constantly. Whenever it comes to computing, I tend to spend money on whatever offers decent performance for a good price within my budget, regardless of manufacturer. In your case, you can spend more on an Intel system or spend less on an AMD system that runs the same. If you intend to stick with the Intel system, you could get a less expensive motherboard, like the ASRock X58 Extreme which has many of the same features. I chose AMD to stay within your budget and get you a high-end graphics card, which is the Radeon 5850.

RAM: RAM sticks are identical. However, kits designed for dual channel motherboards have two sticks in them whereas triple channel kits have three. The sticks are identical, but number of them is not. The reason I chose a dual channel kit is because AM3 is a dual channel design with four sticks, thus you could get two RAM kits and max out the memory. Aside from the increased RAM capacity, there is little benefit to a triple channel motherboard over a dual. With a triple channel design, you would need to get either three RAM kits containing two sticks or two RAM kits containing three sticks. RAM between manufacturers is largely identical, if your computer boots and you can successfully run a memory tester overnight without errors, your RAM will likely never fail. To cut down on costs, I suggest the G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 if you continue with the X58 motherboard. Unless the programs you use are coded for native x64 and can use 4GB or more of RAM, additional RAM beyond 4GB, and in some cases 8GB, usually doesn't yield a significant performance benefit.

Graphics Card: No, not really, the GTS 250 is a rebranded 9800 GTX+. Nvidia simply renamed it to keep naming conventions similar throughout all their lines. The Radeon 5850 is a far superior card to most of Nvidia's line. Currently, in terms of features and performance, only Nvidia's GTX 470 and 480 rival it. Those two cards do cost more at between $50 and $150 more than the 5850. With many games, once you reach resolutions on monitors 24-inches or greater in size, they are more graphics card than CPU bound. The extent to which is determined by the game itself.

3939.png

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:03 AM

Ditto on the RAM DJBPace07 suggested. 1600 is the sweet spot for RAM when overclocking on an X58. Figure also that GSKILL runs at a lower voltage, and there are no heatspreaders sticking up to get in the way of a real CPU cooler. Same memory I run and it clears a Scythe MUGEN-2.

I hate to break it to you, but any mid range NVidia is a bad choice now. As was pointed out above, NVidia went on a "rebadging spree" and the 8800 became the 9800 became the 2XX series. If you have personal reasons for needing an NVidia card, a GTX470 is minimum. Cheaper and easier (not to mention a lot cooler) to get a 5850 and go from there.

One thing I do like about that ASRock suggested above is the PCIE-16 slot spacing. If you ever go crossfire/SLI it sure makes it easier to breath for that top card.

Edited by dpunisher, 23 May 2010 - 05:04 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#9 Luke L

Luke L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

Wow, ok thanks for all that info. I never hardly knew any of what you just posted before now, and your reasoning is overwhelming. I think I will definitely go with AMD, because yeah, I'm on a budget.
Here is my new draft(thanks to you guys) of my near future PC:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz

mobo: ASRock 890FX DELUXE3 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

PSU: Thermaltake W0319RU 850W

RAM: DDR3 1600 (2x2gb) kit, G skill

GPU: BIOSTAR VA5855NPG2 Radeon HD 5850 1GB(just copying your suggestion completely here, for I am not familiar with graphics cards).

TV tuner: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 Hybrid

SSD: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 80GB

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case (I am willing to mow an extra lawn to get this case just because I prefer the looks, It will cool and and fit the graphics card just as well, right? It is about 2 inches shorter in length.)

Reusing: ASUS 24 inch monitor
2 Sata dvd drives
1 sata 250gb HD for storage
Now a few questions.
The motherboard you chose that I copied has an O.C. next to the 1600 DDR3 ram spec, I will be OK using 1600 ram, right? It won't be too complicated, and I will just tell the motherboard what RAM it is?

Just out of the blue, is this system linux compatible? Just wondering and if you choose not to answer I am ok with that.

I greatly appreciate all of the help you guys gave me. I never would have chose AMD because I traditionally had Intel computers all my life.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:56 PM

The DDR3-1600 RAM is considered overclocked RAM for the AM3 motherboard. The system will do one of two things when you start it up, it will either run those sticks at DDR3-1333, in which case you have to manually tell it to go to DDR3-1600 speeds, it could also automatically clock itself to DDR3-1600 speeds. DDR3-1333 is fast enough since DDR3-1600 isn't that large of a jump in speed. I'm not too sure about this, but it is possible that DDR3-1600 RAM will have to be installed in two specific slots on the motherboard for those higher, overclocked speeds. I never overclock RAM as it rarely gives me a significant performance boost. This PC should be Linux compatible, though you may need to download drivers for the graphics card if the current drivers fail to work.

3939.png

#11 Luke L

Luke L
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:57 PM

Ok, thank you and I am for sure going with the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz and motherboard.
Thank you both for helping me.
- Luke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users