Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WmiPrvSE.exe taking CPU 100%, Windows Update problem


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hello,

Lately I have noticed that the process WmiPrvSE.exe in the task manager is consuming all my CPU cycles (about 50%, or equal to 100% on a dual core proc, every 3 seconds - see screenshot) Posted Image

It's only this process, with a different PID every time, and not anything else like svchost or Dcom... I have tried many other fixes on the internet including disabling it, restarting the BITS service, and restarting computer in safe mode/messing around with Windows Update settings.

On top of that, my Windows Update will not work. I'm running Win7 64-bit Premium on an Asus laptop. When I try to use Windows Update (WU), it says 'Windows cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running' (see attached screenshot). Posted Image

I can't update it whatever i do, including the things mentioned above. I've tried downloading patches from Microsoft, changing the hosts file, and doing things in safe mode and setting updates to Automatic. Also, there is weird line of text below the Automatic Update box that tells me to 'find out more about free software from (null)', which seems very suspicious to me.

I have run malware and virus and rootkit scans from AVG and malwarebytes, but nothing found. I have used process explorer to analyze but nothing is useful. I have a hijackthis log available too. I'm seriously thinking these two problems are related. Please help!

Thanks,
Jason

EDIT: I fixed the Windows Update problem. I read on another forum about a user who typed 'regsvr32 wuaueng.dll' into the Run box and it brought back the Windows Update service. So it worked for me too, and WU works fine now. However, the other issue is still present.

Edited by SuperTyphoon, 21 May 2010 - 10:13 PM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 Broni

Broni

    The Coolest BC Computer


  • BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Daly City, CA
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:36 PM

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

 


#3 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:50 PM

I did what you said, and the problem seems to go away as of now... so do you think i should just enable the startup items one by one and see what the culprit is? Or is there a better way?

#4 Broni

Broni

    The Coolest BC Computer


  • BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Daly City, CA
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:15 PM

do you think i should just enable the startup items one by one and see what the culprit is?

This is exactly what you want to do. Services and startups, one-by-one.
I know, it's painful, but... :huh:

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

 


#5 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

Found the problem. It was because of one service at startup:

The spmgr service, in control of the Asus PC probe and monitor app that comes with my laptop, was causing the high CPU usage from WmiPrvSE.exe. Once I disabled it at startup from msconfig, and restarted, the problem went away.

All other services had no effect.

Thanks for all your help though!

#6 Broni

Broni

    The Coolest BC Computer


  • BC Advisor
  • 42,769 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Daly City, CA
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

Excellent! :huh:

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

 





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users