Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't search from Address bar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 manicd

manicd

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hi,

For some reason I can't search from my address bar. When I enter a query it will bring my ISP page saying it can't perform the search or something to that effect. Could anyone help me with this issue please?

Posted Image

Edited by manicd, 21 May 2010 - 06:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

Your ISP is hijacking your address bar search provider. Juno does the same. You can put it back via a few registry hacks (I wish I could find the link to the tutorial...), but if you continue to use your ISP (I can only assume you will), it will just put it back.

If you use a different ISP and reset the address bar search provider, then it will stay that way (assuming that ISP doesn't do the same). AT&T doesn't do this (that's my ISP).
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 manicd

manicd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

Thank you keyboardNinja at least I now know what I'm dealing with it's no a question of overcoming it.
Unfortunately I cannot switch ISP's because I'm under a years contract with my current ISP.
It's becoming a real pain & I want to resolve this as soon as possibly. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks once a keyboardNinja for your input.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:32 PM

Who's your ISP?
That issue should be fixable.
Comcast, for instance, has opt out option.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 manicd

manicd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

Hi Broni

I actually rang "Talk Talk" & one of their representatives kindly helped me through the problem.
If anyone has a similar issue & wants me to explain the resolution in detail, let me know.

Edited by manicd, 22 May 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for posting back :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users