Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer telling me my C drive is full

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfdude87

Wolfdude87

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

According to my HP Pavillion Dv4 Entertainment PC my C drive is full. All 284GB. And it just keeps getting fuller every couple hours. But I feel like it's impossible for this to be true. At least from anything I'm putting on it. How can I find out what's doing this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

Well you could be visiting web sites that creating cached files, depends on what web sites you visit regularly.

Do you play either on-line games or installed games? Ones that start you off where you were in the game last save a file to your hard drive.

It is not easy to pin-point exactly what program has the most disk space used, that I am aware of, but you can use two disk utilities that are usually used to defrag hard drives.

Using either Defraggler or Auslogics Disk Defrag, you can click on the blocks to see what files each block contains to get a basic idea what consumes most of your hard drive.

Heres the links to both programs which are freeware.

Defraggler. (note this is the download link) http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download/standard

Auslogics Disk defrag. http://download.cnet.com/Auslogics-Disk-De...&tag=button

Edited by MrBruce1959, 21 May 2010 - 09:45 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Luke L

Luke L

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:14 PM

You could use CCleaner. It's a freeware program that cleans all temporary crap files off your HDD. It could free up 10GB or so.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

You could use CCleaner. It's a freeware program that cleans all temporary crap files off your HDD. It could free up 10GB or so.

This program can be used, however I must caution you, be very careful with this program, because if it is mis-used, you can cause your system to become un-stable or non-bootable.

Reason is, it can clean/delete files critical for system performance or stability, or cause programs to no longer work correctly.

So use this program with extreme caution and make sure you do system backups, including registry backups and system restore. :thumbsup:
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:15 AM

I wouldn't use the registry part of Ccleaner.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

System restore points can also take up considerable space
Clear them every once i a while
How to clear system restore points
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users