Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive not listed in Dev Mgr or disk mgmt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

I am working on a Dell 8110 system with XPSP3 that was infected with AntiSpyware Pro and other beasts that I am currently removing.

The hard drive is an 80 gig partitioned into 60 and 20 gig
BIOS recognizes the drive and the system boots fine

Odd thing is that the hard drive is not listed in disk management or device manager.
If I go to My Computer or Windows Explorer the drive is there and works fine.
No conflicts in device manager. The IDE ATAPI controlloers are listed as Intel 82801EB which is what they should be.

I have never seen this before
Anyone have any ideas why?

Edited by hamluis, 22 May 2010 - 06:39 PM.
Moved to XP ~ Hamluis.

In the beginning there was the command line.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

May sound odd but have you cloned any of your disks? or have had any odd circumstance that would cause this such as a new install of windows gone wrong? Also I don't think this is an internal hardware problem more of a operating system problem. (should be moved to windows XP forum). :thumbsup:
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:16 PM

Have you tried deleting your IDE ATA/Atapi controllers and rebooting?

Louis

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:30 PM

Computerxpds - Disks have not been cloned. System is owned by a personal friend of mine that I was helping out.
I think its a OS problem as well as the drive does work fine. The BIOS sees it correctly and the files are accessible
Have cleaned all the viruses and spyware off the system thinking that may be the issue

Louis - No I have not yet. I did consider that though.

I think his best bet is to backup his stuff and reload Windows clean. The system is about 5 years old and was given to him by his sister. Lots of remnants of old junk on it. It could use a good cleaning out.

I keep track of hardware specs on every system that I work on including the hard drive mfgr and size.
I have never seen that issue before on any system.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

Yeah I have never seen it either, Something worth researching. :thumbsup:
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

.... the system boots fine
Odd thing is that the hard drive is not listed in disk management or device manager.
If I go to My Computer or Windows Explorer the drive is there and works fine.
I have never seen this before
Anyone have any ideas why?

I came across this situation a few days ago, when installing a new hard drive for a friend.
I noticed the screenshot in the following thread displays the same situation:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/318103/3-windows-xp-professionals-installed-in-1-partition-need-help/

I then found the following thread, which gives the best possible clue (that I have so far been able to find) as to the root of the problem.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic125357.html
"Was a virus problem (ROOTKIT). Removed them all and everything is fine now."
"Had "Google search result redirecting" problem. Followed this thread by MFLYNN: 741649 Now everything is normal!"
(The thread referred to is the following: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic125303.html#post741649 )

Are you able to check for this possibility and perhaps confirm it as a cause?
(I do not have access to the computer I was looking at to test it for myself: Hopefully I will get to play with it later this week.)

Regards,
'Alien

Edited by AustrAlien, 23 May 2010 - 06:05 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

Concur.

I have seen this several times with rootkits. Also after a rootkit has been "removed" as the core windows files needed to call diskmanager (or the loader) is damaged in the rootkit removal.

A clean reload should fix it and should really speed up an older system just because of the unavoidable cruft build up in the registry.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

Concur.
I have seen this several times with rootkits. Also after a rootkit has been "removed" as the core windows files needed to call diskmanager (or the loader) is damaged in the rootkit removal.

Thanks for the observation/confirmation.
Regards
'Alien
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:17 AM

the hard drive is not listed in disk management or device manager.

Following up on my earlier post where I mentioned a computer with the same problem: I posted for assistance in the Malware Removal Forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/319793/google-et-al-search-links-redirected/
and established that a rootkit was indeed present. On removal of the rootkit, the hard drive was then showing in both Disk Management and Device Manager as it should.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users