Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition not recognized, can't install Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jereece

jereece

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:24 PM

I have a Gateway laptop (couple years old) that had Vista installed on it. It somehow got totally messed up so I was going to reformat and install my old Windows XP Pro. When I booted from the Windows XP disk, after it loads the drivers, it says "Unknown Disk. There si no disk in this drive". So I removed the hard drive and connected it to my desktop computer as an external drive and it shows 2 partitions. I reformatted each of the partitions and put it back into the laptop. Booted from the Windows XP CD and it still says there is no disk in this drive. I rebooted and entered the bios. The bios shows the disk drive as normal.

So I have a hard drive that works but for some reason Windows XP install disk does not recognize. Any suggestions. I need to get XP installed on this laptop.

Thanks,
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

after it loads the drivers,

Is this a SATA drive? You may have to load special drivers for it. (at the point when it asks you to push F6 to load drivers)

The drivers for that would be on the computer manufacturer's web site.

I hope this helps.

DR

#3 jereece

jereece
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

How do you load the drivers before the operating system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users