Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bang For My Bucks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 05:18 PM

Hi All,

I have about $2000 to spend on a new PC and I have an idea of what I need, but I am not totally sure. Here are a couple of links to PC's that caught my eye.

V2 Premier at Shop NBC

Dell XPS 600 at Dell.com

The V2 comes with a ton of software but I'm not sure if the Hardware is up to par. It also comes with printer, D-cam and other extras, but I don't want to sacrifice Performance for stuff that I already have anyway. They make the XPS sound hot, then you find out they are talking about the one that costs $5000, the link is for the base model. I'm curious how good the base model fits my needs.

I have read lots of reviews, but have found nothing that addresses what I am looking for, and quite frankly, I just don't know enough about the components to make an informed decision.

I would be totally thankful if someone thats Component Savvy would check these out, and tell me what you think. Or if you can point me in the direction of a PC that will fit my needs, that would be cool to.

What I want/need:

-1GB RAM
-at least 200GB Hard Drive
-dual-layer DVD Drive plus another drive
-at least 19in LCD Monitor
-The fastest Processor I can get for budget
-Future Expandability

I will be using it for....

-Web site building and maintaining
-Software Testing
-Graphics Editing(I use Gimp daily)
-Multi-Media (not real heavy, mainly pictures)
-School (Web development, Software development, or related areas)
-Email, blog, chat, file sharing, etc....

Oh Yea, I am not a Gamer, but I am an extreme multi-tasker!

Thanks in Advance, I will return the favor in any way I can.

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:19 PM

I suggest finding a system builder to build you what you want without the extra junk and bundled software one never uses.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:25 PM

You'll pay a premium for state-of-the-art stuff right now - the technology is still developing.

Once the new technologies mature (DDR2 and 3, Dual Cores, BTX motherboards, PCI Express, 64 bit computing. SATA3, Windows Vista, etc, etc, etc) the prices will come down.

So, it depends on if you want to wait, or if you want it now. Finally, it's easy to build your own - and there's lot's of sites on the web that will recommend systems for specific purposes.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users