Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs and hiccups, generally slow brand new laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geno93n0

geno93n0

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:44 PM

Hi, I just got a brand new Asus K42JR laptop, running a trial version of Windows 7 Ultimate, and I have an as of yet unopened OEM System Builder Pack for Windows 7 Home Basic. I first installed a bunch of basic software, TuneUp Utilities 2010 and Daemon Tools. Then, when I got to installing AutoCAD 2011 I made the fatal mistake (at least that's what I think it is) of closing the laptop cover while the install was still running.

When I opened it again, the setup program was asking me for the install disk (it was an ISO image mounted in Daemon Tools) and I decided to cancel the setup and start from scratch again. First I clicked the cancel button and waited for around 3mins doing nothing, then I decided to try fiddling around, task switching and opening the start menu and the like, which I could do.

I finally got to close the setup with Task Manager, but the initial lag from the moment I clicked the cancel button never went away. I then tried to uninstall autocad, and I got a message that AutoCADSetup.res couldn't be found or something. Since then I've tried System Restore all the way back to since before I installed TuneUp, but the lag persisted.

A check in my Event Viewer showed me that I was experiencing a lot of iaStor Event ID 9 errors. I also tried booting into safe mode thinking that it would be lagless but it also lagged when I got into safe mode. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it? A quick check on a forum post I saw said to run Chkdsk, which I'm doing right now. I'll report any results, but feedback regarding this issue is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

EDIT: The lag is everywhere, from the logon screen where I type in my password to the moment I turn off the computer. What used to be only a few seconds now takes more like 10 minutes or so. Really really need the help.

Edited by geno93n0, 21 May 2010 - 12:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:46 PM

Since the laptop is new, I'm assuming, you don't have much data to lose/backup.
I'd restore it to factory settings.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

Since the laptop is new, I'm assuming, you don't have much data to lose/backup.
I'd restore it to factory settings.

But...

Hi, I just got a brand new Asus K42JR laptop, running a trial version of Windows 7 Ultimate

New computers don't come with the trial version of Windows 7 (aka Release Candidate). Where did you get this laptop?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:25 AM

From a computer store, it has a one-year warranty. As I mentioned, they also gave me a Windows 7 Home Basic OEM System Builder Pack.

@Broni: By restoring to factory settings, do you mean using the recovery partition?

And does nobody know how to deal with the iaStor errors?

#5 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:25 AM

UPDATE: Reinstalled Windows from the OEM pack, no iaStor errors showing up on Event Viewer yet..

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for posting back :huh:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

You're welcome XD

Anyway, after a fresh install of Win7 and the necessary stuff for my lappie, I'm getting the iaStor errors again, along with MASSIVE lag. Could this be hardware-related?

EDIT: Now I'm also getting a lot of timeout-related errors from different Microsoft services.

Edited by geno93n0, 22 May 2010 - 11:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users