Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

startup menu

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 yamxer438

yamxer438

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:54 PM

can anyone give me a list of the programs that have to be running in my start up menu, so i can turn everything else off. thanks for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 06:24 PM

Which windows are you running?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 yamxer438

yamxer438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:34 AM

i am running M.E. (yea yea dont laugh i know thats my problem :thumbsup: ).

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:48 AM

I personlly turn off everything but my antivirus, antispyware(Spybot Ewido..), utilities(nvida console), MS updates and systray. Byt that is just me. I only have 2 computers left running ME. One have Windows NT4 sp6, one has (mine) XP Pro, and the other nine have Win2k Pro p4. Win2k is a dream. It's like XP Lite. Works great on older computers. All of my computers are P-III 450 and 500s

#5 Johanna

Johanna

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:50 AM

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Mike Lin's StartupCPL puts a tab in your Control Panel so you don't need to use msconfig to trim your start up. The only things that need to start with Windows is your AV/ Firewall protection.

Look up processes here:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...processlibrary/

Johanna
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher an animal, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:14 AM

I vote for Mike Lin's StartUPCPL - I've used it for a long time and it works extremely well. Msconfig has always confused me - so I refuse to use it.

There's several ways to determine if you need a startup entry or not. The good thing about StartUpCPL is that you can uncheck (disable) an item without deleting it. Here's what I do:
1) Scroll through all the tabs and uncheck the one's that you're sure that you don't need - then reboot your system. If anything's wrong - go back and put the checks back in.
2) Scroll through the one's that you're unsure of, and uncheck them one-by-one (rebooting in-between) - OR do a Google search for it's name or file name - OR post back here and someone should be able to tell you what it's for and if you need it. - OR try checking this site (I just found this, so I can't vouch for it's accuracy - but it was accurate about the files that I searched) http://www.file.net/process/index.html

Once again, if anything goes wrong, go back and put the checks back in.

There are several programs on the market (nVidia video in particular) that will automatically add another entry if you disable it. Some are needed, but most are not. It's a bit trickier to get rid of these - but let us know what you've got and we'll tell you how to stop them also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:39 AM

Here is an interesting item, "How to run ME well" that might guide you about startup applications:

http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 yamxer438

yamxer438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 02:16 PM

thanks for all the help i will try out some of this stuff and see what happens thanks agian joel

#9 yamxer438

yamxer438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:57 PM

ok so i did a coulpe of the things you guys told me about, now i have another problem. When i try to go to a web site, it says that the page can not be displayed,but if i type in the ip address for a web site then it will open the page. I have comcast as my provider and i called them but they said it is in my pc. Not sure if this has to do with any changes i made or if it is just a kwinky dink. thanks

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2005 - 01:23 AM

It sounds like a DNS problem. Are you running a static IP address on your LAN or DHCP?
DNS is like the telephone book for the internet. It takes the www. whatever name .com, compares it to the database and comes up with the WAN IP address for the website. If you are Static on your LAN you need to manually input the DNS in your Network Properties. Go to the settings page for your router and copy down the DNS IP addresses shown there and enter them in your computer's network settings. Unless your are going to host your own DNS. Not practical.
The second option would be to enable DHCP, unless you have a need for a static address. To do this go back thru the Network Wizard.

Or the DNS is down at comcast, they don't want to acknowledge it, and it will come back onlne in time.

If you think you screw up the settings just run back thru the Network Wizard and be done with it.

Happy trails :thumbsup: :flowers:

#11 yamxer438

yamxer438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 12:52 AM

yea, so as you can tell i am no computer wiz, so i dont know what dns is, not sure how to tell if i am running a static ip address and not sure how to enable dhcp. I went into the network wizard but it didnt ask me anything about dhpc. sorry dude

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:55 AM

In IE go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings(at the bottom of the page). If at the top of the page the box next to Automatically detect settings is check you are using DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). The allows your router to assign your computer an address. It is ideal for the user who has basic needs.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:23 AM

Since I talked about StartUpCPL - did you make any changes using it? If so, what were they? One may have affected your connection ability.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 yamxer438

yamxer438
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 12:51 AM

most of the stuff was already off i just turned of a couple of mcafee updates and stuff. at comcast they told me it was a window socket or wind sock, but that is all the info he could give me, cause it is a windows thing not a comcast thing.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:14 AM

Have you done all your Windows updates?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users