Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temperamental sound card or bad start-up?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wordforger

wordforger

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

Hello, Everybody.

I have a Dell C400 Latitude laptop that runs on Windows XP professional, and the sound has been rather twitchy for over two years. Most of the time, the sound does not work at all, but every great once in a while, it starts working again, until the next start-up that is. I would say that it probably works about 5% of the time.

When I go into the "sounds and audio devices" menu, under the "Hardware" tab, it tells me that all of the devices are working properly except "Crystal WDM Audio Codec". The device status says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" This is, of course, what it says when it is not working.

Now, I would like to know if this is a hardware problem (in which case I'll just live with it rather than putting out money for a replacement), or if this is a software problem that can be fixed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

Have you tried looking up the drivers for that device and downloading updates yet?
Alternately, one recommendation I've seen for drivers that Windows doesn't have but also isn't asking for:
go to Add/Remove and uninstall the program by that name. Then, on startup, apparently XP should start yelling and ask to look for drivers.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users