Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant find LPT1 Printer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stevetemple

stevetemple

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

I have a Dell D630 with Windows XP. At one point I had access to my HP 720C by using a cable that had the old style hookup on the end that went into the printer and a USB connector on the other end to connect to the computer. We initially had trouble setting up a port that worked with this arrangement, but somehow we did it. Later my computer had to be "updated", and although it seems that the printer still worked afterwards, it subsequently quit working. I've muddled through without it, but would really like to get it going again. It won't print a test page. We have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. Enough time has passed since we initially got it to work that we simply can't recall what exactly we did, but it had something to do with the ports because of the unusual cable required. We can install the printer from a list, but it doesn't seem to matter whether we use the LPT1 port or the USB port. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

I've just seen your post, sorry you've not had a reply before now.

I have an old HP720C, which has a parallel interface and connects to the parallel port on my desktop.

According to specs through Google, your D630 laptop has serial and parallel ports, in addition to 4 USB ports.

What do you mean by 'old style hookup'.

You could try replacing your special cable, or using a parallel to parallel cable,
if your laptop has a parallel port and 'old style hookup' = parallel.

I recall when I installed my printer to my Dell desktop (XP Home), many years ago, it did not need any
specific drivers and once set as the default printer, it just worked and still does.

#3 stevetemple

stevetemple
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for the reply. The HP 720C originally came with the IEEE 1284 printer cable for parallel ports. Unfortunately, the Dell Lattitude D630 does not accept such a cable. The Dell Website shows the following Ports for the D630:Serial, docking connector, 4 USB, 1394, VGA, headphone/speaker out, RJ-11, RJ-45, AC power, integrated microphone
Without the LPT port I need, I had to get a cable that has a USB end on it for connecting the printer to the computer. So it seems I cannot tell the computer that the device is connected via an LPT port. We've tried telling the computer that the printer is connected to a USB port, but we must not be telling it all it needs to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users