Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing processor resources across a network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PlyPencil

PlyPencil

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

I have quite a few computers in my household. I am also running a very demanding application which is of a similar nature to a video encoder and exporter. Each frame it outputs takes around 17 minutes, with certain programs it is possible to use a network to process long complicated tasks but they are all application specific. My question is, is there a software solution out there which allows the pooling of processor resources from multiple computers into one application or does functionality like this have to be coded into the application itself?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

There is a linux based software that can connect multiple computers across network connections allowing it to function as a "supercomputer". Not all applcations are capabile of this much multithreaded activity. It would also require so program manipulation in order to get it to work and even more to fine tune the aaplication. Assuming that you are running windows this would probably not help you much. The best suggestion would be to see how many cores your program supports and go from there. If it can work on a 64 bit OS then that would be the way to go since you can go with the six core proccessor and a lot more memory which will greatly speed up the process.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 PlyPencil

PlyPencil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

Thanks but I am using a Windows platform, my computers and linux (ubuntu) do not get along :thumbsup: as I have frequent crashes due to unsupported hardware. I'm looking into the 'Network balance' feature of Windows Server editions, does anyone know if that's just for web connections or if it can balance system resources?

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:03 AM

Network balance or clustering will not solve your issue. Network balancing is only used to split the load of network related access like DNS, AD, DHCP, ect. I does not balance program loads. Each one of the multiple servers runs identical copies of everything sending resources around as needed or in a round robin if you choose. While it sounds like this might work for you it would be no different than running the same program on multiple computers since they do not share resources. Also balancing is only available on 2000 advanced server, 2003&2008 enterprise server.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users