Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlanLeon

AlanLeon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:41 AM

Hello,
Many apologies if this is poor netiquette/protocol piggy backing on another guys thread.

I have a UMPC (ASUS eee) and my C drive seems to be 0Mb (on a 4GB drive)
I reckon I 've followed (most) suggestions above.

I have:
turned off system restore
no paging file
redirected Temps to the D drive
redirected My Documents to the D drive
Attempted to install all progs to the D drive (but I bet good old MS still put DLLs in sysem on C?)
deleted $ntuninstall folders
run MBAM

I'm reasonably computerate - the only thing that I've never messed around with is the recycle bin. I have it as 'Use one setting for both drives', is this best?

The other day I deleted a $nt.. folder and I'm sure that for a split second I saw 700mb free, when I went into my computer it read 400mb free and within a few hours was back to 0mb free.

I ran that WinDirStat and it shows a windows\installer folder of 1Gb, is this needed?

Any other suggestions?

thanks

AlanLeon
apologies again if I meant to start a new thread

EDIT: Removed from other thread, given own topic ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 21 May 2010 - 08:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi,

Now that you have your own topic, why is the hard drive with the is only 4 gb that is not enought to run windows on by any means, do you have it patitioned?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 AlanLeon

AlanLeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

Hi,
I took this to Beijing in 2008 and was happily running the (few) programs I needed.
I thought that 4GB WAS enough for XP.

I don't remember partitioning it so it must have come partitioned.

I usually install and run partition managers when I want this feature

I dimly remember reading that one shouldn't mix partition managers, so how do I reallocate the partitions?

thanks

AlanLeon

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

The bottom line is, you need bigger drive. Running XP on 4GB drive is close to insanity :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:16 PM

Same opinion as broni's here, definitely get a bigger hard drive. What are your exact system specs so that i can recommend a few hard drives (western digital is the best). :thumbsup:
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:24 PM

Running XP on 4GB drive is close to insanity :flowers:

No kidding. :thumbsup:
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image