Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving programs to another hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yukmouf

yukmouf

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:08 AM

I bought a new computer today! But before I get to the new one, I want to take a hard drive that I added out of this computer and I'm going to get an enclosure and use it on the new computer. The majority of files on this drive are pictures and music. I want to move everything else to the primary drive and leave only the pictures and music. Before I get to moving folders, do you have any advice for moving them and avoiding conflicts with locations.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

You just can't move programs (.EXE files) from the old hard drive to a new installation and expect them to work. With rare exceptions, you will have to reinstall all of your programs in order to have the correct .dll and registry entries present.

Straight data (music, pics etc) can be moved without a problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 yukmouf

yukmouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

Thats what I was afraid of. I really only have one issue with needing to move a program. I have Kaspersky on this drive. I have the 3 user software and I was afraid if I uninstalled on this drive to move to another it would count as using another license.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

You could contact Kaspersky and explain the situation to them. They may issue a new key since it is the same computer. I was in the same situation a few years back with Trend Micro. Alternatively, you could use something like Microsoft Security Essentials and not bother with Kaspersky.

3939.png

#5 SmokeViper07

SmokeViper07

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

I agree with DJBPace07, though like he said you may do just as well or better using something like MSE and its actually a freeware. Also, in some cases with software you will be able to just copy over the corresponding folder from your "program files" folder and sometimes you will be able to just use the software from that directory. I have done this a few times with a couple games copying them onto external hard drives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users