Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard and power button switch pannel problem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 papajuanito

papajuanito

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

Well, I just exchanged the motherboard in my computer and reconnected everything in it. Problem is that when I connect the front panel switch cable, power button, and the power supply is plugged in the computer will turn on. Power button will not work and the computer will then turn off if the power button cable is left connected. If I remove the cable after turning on the pc will go on with booting. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:21 PM

I bet the cables are connected in the wrong places. Any chance you can send motherboard and case information? That will help us direct you better. Thanks!

And welcome to BleepingComputer!

#3 papajuanito

papajuanito
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for that welcome:) The motherboard I bought is the MSI G31TM-P21 and the case is the one from an HP Pavilion a6157c. Now, I've replaced my fair share of motherboards and haven't had a problem connecting the power button and I've tried every possible way with this one but not luck.

#4 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:14 PM

If you've got some time, here is an interesting read: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/308462/physical-symptoms-of-a-system-struck-by-lightning/
There are several good tests in that thread for your power supply, motherboard and connectors.

But I think I know why it's doing this... If you hold down the power button for several seconds, the PSU/motherboard will force the computer to turn off, right? There must be a short in the wire or power switch which is having the same effect. What do you think?

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:32 AM

HI and again welcome to Bleepingcomputer!

I would check that power on switch for a stuck button, your powering on, but if it remains in, it can put it in sleep mode, then off mode if the motherboard supports it.

You can check the switch with a VOM meter set to the Ohms mode, which simply passes one side of the meters battery through the probes looking for a closed circuit, if both probes in the Ohms mode are touched together, the circuit is closed and the meter is activated and registers continuity.

The same goes when testing a momentary switch, normally the switch is an open circuit, no current passes through it.
Once the switch is pressed, it closes the circuit and allows a current to flow across it. The meter will read a measurement, until it is released, then the circuit is now an open circuit, no current flows.

If you do not have an VOM multimeter, a simple 1.5 volt battery and a flashlight bulb can be used, simply connect one wire from switch to PLUS (+) side of battery, put bulb's metal shield on NEGATIVE (-) side of battery, then put other wire from switch on bulbs point (the tip) and have someone press the switch, the light bulb should light, release switch button, light should go off.

Some switches on computers come with confusing wire harnesses or ribbon wires which connect to various LEDs and other switch's, in this case you need to isolate the two wires that lead to the power on switch from the rest.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users