Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My external drive crashed. Is there any way to get back the files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EllieJ

EllieJ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:32 PM

Bought an external drive on eBay and it was bogus. I was able to transfer music/photos and 7 days later it crashed. I've tried the Seatools and the long generic scan showed 111 Bad LPAs in 10 minutes so I aborted.

Is there a way to get back the files? Can I send the drive out to save the files on the external drive? Any other recommendations?

Seagate Freeagent Go
250GB
Running Windows XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

I've had luck with GetDataBack. You can download it and test it for free from runtime.org. If the hard drive is starting to die (which it sounds like it is) it might not work and you'll have to research your local recovery center options. That can get expensive quickly!

Good luck!

Oh, and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:16 AM

You could try booting with a Linux Live CD, to see if you can still read the external drive.
If so, you can copy what you want, onto a flash / external drive.

Ubuntu is popular

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

It's about a 700MB download of the ISO, which you need to burn to a CD;
if you are not familiar with ISOs, you can't just copy the file to a CD, it has to be burned correctly.

Programs for burning ISOs - ( ImgBurn is popular, but do not install the Ask Toolbar ):

http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/gmm/fwcdburn.html

You don't have to install, you just boot up with the CD and select the appropriate option,
(ignoring the Install option), from the Menu.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for file recovery there are several freeware programs, which you could try before spending
any money.

Recuva is a popular program and can be quite effective.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users