Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP missing Logon / unable to log on

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 purduephotog

purduephotog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

I have a bit of an odd one to me.

I've worked on this computer before- and to give you an idea as to why I don't want to reimage it, it is the laptop of a coworker's son who was killed in action- his mother has had me repair it a few times when it had problems.

She gave it to me a few months ago when the logon screen stopped coming up. This is an Acer Aspire- so you see the windows "Starting Windows XP" screen and then it rolls over to the acer Aspire background screen. The mouse icon appears. And then it sits there, forever.

alt-control-delete doesn't work.

I have replaced the kernel and logonui from i386- didn't work.

I have scandisk/spinrite/virus scanned the disk- found some problems, fixed them, didn't work.

I have rebuilt the windows install- didn't work.

I've used UBCD to check out the registry and disk, and I can gain access to everything just fine- I just can't get it to get to the logon screen to actually allow you onto the system.

I've made a couple of backups of the data to be sure it's safe.

Suggestions very much welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:33 AM

<<I have rebuilt the windows install- didn't work.>>

It helps if we know exactly what you did and did not do.

Whatever "rebuilding the windows install" might be...it's not necessarily an effective solution for every computer situation. In fact, it's quite ineffective when confronted with hardware and malware situations.

Did you run the correct respective hard drive diagnostic, downloadable from the hard drive manufacturer's website?

Louis

#3 purduephotog

purduephotog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE(hamluis @ May 21 2010, 03:33 AM) View Post
<<I have rebuilt the windows install- didn't work.>>

It helps if we know exactly what you did and did not do.

Whatever "rebuilding the windows install" might be...it's not necessarily an effective solution for every computer situation. In fact, it's quite ineffective when confronted with hardware and malware situations.

Did you run the correct respective hard drive diagnostic, downloadable from the hard drive manufacturer's website?

Louis

The command I used was : bootcfg /rebuild :

I have not used any manufacturer HD utility on the drive- just SpinRite. It is not reported to be failing at this time, but it did have several hundred recovered errors in Scandisk.

In addition, I have checked the hard drive in another machine to ensure its partitions are readable and verify that the scan disk application on the laptop wasn't broken.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:51 AM

I suggest running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic.

If short and long tests are offered...run the long test.

Louis

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:22 AM

Have you tried to boot in safe mode?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 purduephotog

purduephotog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE(Baltboy @ May 21 2010, 09:22 AM) View Post
Have you tried to boot in safe mode?

Yes. Same issue- it will not enter safe mode, but it will display "SAFE MODE" background.

Alt-control-delete does not work either. windows-R or windows-e do not work.

I've used the built in diagnostic on the hard drive (the utilities for the ACER) long test- but I have not downloaded any other specific utility.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:51 AM

basically the problem is that explorer.exe is not starting. try hitting crtl-shift-esc to bring up task manager. If so start explorer as a new task. If task manager will not start i would begin to suspect eithrt some serious system corruption or malware/virus. Doing a repair install would probably be a good option here so you can fix the system files and hopefully get back into the OS and troubleshoot from there.
Mark Twain

#8 purduephotog

purduephotog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE(Baltboy @ May 22 2010, 09:51 AM) View Post
basically the problem is that explorer.exe is not starting. try hitting crtl-shift-esc to bring up task manager. If so start explorer as a new task. If task manager will not start i would begin to suspect eithrt some serious system corruption or malware/virus. Doing a repair install would probably be a good option here so you can fix the system files and hopefully get back into the OS and troubleshoot from there.

No dice. Both in regular boot and safemode (says Safe Mode Microsoft ® Windows XP ® (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_dgr_090206-1234:Service Pack 3) Safe Mode

I get the background, the mouse and control of said mouse (no buttons work), and no keystrokes work.

Think explorer is corrupt then? I'll see if I can't unpack it then restore that over.

The disk has been repaired and I did scan it offline for viruses. I'll look at removing it and try scanning it again on another computer with today's updates.

Any other ideas? What's the load sequence that kicks off after the background image is displayed in safemode?

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

I still think doing a repair install of windows would probably work. As far as I know after the wallpaper comes up the next thing loaded should be explorer. If explorer doesn't load than most likely nothing else will.

edited: because i can't spell today

Edited by Baltboy, 22 May 2010 - 10:06 AM.

Mark Twain

#10 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,220 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hi, purduephotog smile.gif

welcome.gif

Lets give this a try. The only way I see we can help you is throughout an External Environment, which simply means you will need to burn a boot CD with especial tools. You will also need a flash drive to move information from the troubled computer to a working computer. It is the only way we can see the progress of our actions. Save these instructions in your flash drive as a text file (use notepad) so you can have access to these while in an external environment (PE).

Here is what you need to do.
  • Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop. NOTE: This file is 93.1MB in size so it may take some time to download.
  • Once downloaded, insert a blank CD in your burner and click on OTLPEStd.exe.The executable includes the OTLPE_New_Std.iso and a copy of imgburn, a program to burn .iso files. When executed, the application will extract both and start the burning process automatically.
  • Once the CD is burned, boot the Non working computer using the boot CD you just created.
  • In order to do so, the computer must be set to boot from the CD first
    Note : For information click here
  • Your system should now display a REATOGO-X-PE desktop.
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start. Change the following settings
    • Change Drivers to All
    • Change Standart Registry to All
    • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

/md5start
      eventlog.dll
      scecli.dll
      netlogon.dll
      cngaudit.dll
      sceclt.dll
      ntelogon.dll
      logevent.dll
      iaStor.sys
      nvstor.sys
      atapi.sys
      IdeChnDr.sys
      viasraid.sys
      AGP440.sys
      vaxscsi.sys
      nvatabus.sys
      viamraid.sys
      nvata.sys
      nvgts.sys
      iastorv.sys
      ViPrt.sys
      eNetHook.dll
      ahcix86.sys
      KR10N.sys
      nvstor32.sys
      ahcix86s.sys
      nvrd32.sys
      userinit.exe
      explorer.exe
      ntoskrnl.exe
      /md5stop
      %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
      %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
      %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive.
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#11 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users