mOle from virus forum was helping me with virus related problems, and he asked me to post here today.
On May 4th a MBAM scan found and removed from my ThinkPad XP Pro SP2 Firefox3.5 and IE8:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\instkey (Trojan.Vundo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\xpreapp (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
On May 12th encountered strange errors e.g.
- When shutting down, I'll click Start and then click Turn Off computer. The hour glass comes and stay there for about 6 minutes, then the dialog box with turn off restart etc appears. I'll click Turn Off and the system takes another 6minutes to turn off.
May 20th, my machine would not boot up properly this morning. It Actually took 3-Hard Reboots and 4-Restarts for me to be able to access the internet i.e. = 72-minutes to get to this point.
- 'Taskbar and Startup Menu toolbar' should have 10 icons in it. Each time it would startup/restart it would have only 2 or 3
Here is what I noted - the program that needed to "end now" before restart was:
- ACWLIcon.exe - User 'SYSTEM'
- ACTray. exe - I think the User was 'SYSTEM'
- explorer.exe - User I think was 'SYSTEM'
- TpShocks.exe - was missing earlier - is now present
Since I've finally been able to log on I have been taking a look at the 'Windows Task Manager Processes' and now all the above have User 'Michelle'
When I hit 'Start', 'All Programs' - all icons are changed to white boxes e.g. 'Unlocker' is just a white box, 'SKYPE' is a white box, 'AVAST' a white box etc. These are recently downloaded programs, with the exception of Skype.
This is driving me bonkers mOle. Can you please help me resolve this - Please!
Edited by lost2pc, 20 May 2010 - 07:53 PM.