Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too many laptops to choose from

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rraa

Rraa

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:05 PM

Can anyone help with suggestions please? :wacko: :) I am considering investing in a laptop and cannot decide which to go for. I am toying with the idea of getting either a Samsung Netbook or a Toshiba but am willing to consider others if better can be suggested.

Budget: 200-450 (I am in the UK)

Primary uses: email, web browsing, work using MS Word/Excel/PowerPoint

plus other software, eg Adobe Acrobat, InDesign, WebPage Maker or similar web and publishing software, photoshop and other similar picture editing stuff

I don't play games but may watch CD's via a separate optical drive

There might be a few programmes open at the same time as I switch from task to task and reply to emails etc.

I will be storing quite a lot of pictures, mini video clips but not films.

The main uses will be work related or study related so essays, illustrations, work on my website and corresondence.

The laptop needs to be portable and fit into my bag - size 10" or 11", but up to 12" screen maximum - weight, typically about 1.33kg

Battery life is imortant, less than 6 hrs is useless.

I have heard that the standard today is 2G but the size I am after doesn't often show this - perhaps I am looking in the wrong places.

Not sure about speed - is 1.66 Hz ok?
What should I be looking for in terms of RAM
or in terms of memory?

I am certain that many laptops sold today come ready loaded with lots of software that take up space and do very little to speed things up or protect your laptop - any advice on what sort of bloatware to remove would be helpful too.

I plan to instal McAfee, the common or garden software mentioned above and get to work - what more can one ask for ...?

Any advice would be welcomed and gratefully received.

:blink:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users