Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet browsing is freezing computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

Hello,

Lately I've been having a problem with any internet browser I use, either taking a -long- time to load pages and locking up the whole computer while loading or not loading pages at all/crashing. The only thing I can seem to do is move my mouse, and even sometimes that's not even working for a few moments. If I click on the window or try to click any buttons on the browser (like the X for instance or a new tab) the program is listed as not responding.

Firefox seems to eventually load the pages and everything is fine again, until the web page changes. IE however, freezes entirely and no amount of time lets it load pages. I have to spend forever and a day waiting for my task manager to come up to end the process just to get it to shut down and release control of my system.

I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit. I've run every kind of virus/malware/spyware cleaner I can think of (cleaned out a couple trojans and a worm but those weren't the source of the problem) I use Avast! free version, and even with it's shields off I still get this freezing/lagging so that's not the source either. I've also defragged with windows' tool and a 3rd party tool (Defraggler). Also I've tried re-installing both browsers, disabling my add-on's in firefox one by one (none installed on IE), and clearing the cache and cookies.

I've even had an IT friend try to help me out with all the cleaning of junk from my PC and tried repairing via the start-up CD and memory tests, none of those had any problems to report.

Also on another note, I don't think it's hardware either, since everything not having to do with an internet browser runs perfectly fine and lag-less, even high end games.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Edited by MythicalArcher, 20 May 2010 - 03:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

Hi let's see if I can help you. :thumbsup:

So you say it is only web browser that do this? Is there any pattern such as certain pages make this happen or is all pages even google? Also how much ram do you have and what programs do you have running in the background also what are your computer specs.?

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

Light webpages such as google and it's websites (reader, maps, etc) seem to run fine, as does my frequently visited sites (various gaming blogs). There is a slight pause in loading my gmail account, that wasn't there before. It did pause while loading but it never locked the rest of the computer while it was loading. But anything I don't normally visit or anything "heavy" (Lots of banner ads, flash, dynamic sites) It takes longer to load in Firefox, and locks the computer until it's finished loading, while IE just outright freezes and I have to end the process to get functionality back.

I usually have just Avast and skype in the background, although it happens with neither of them running as well.

My system specs are Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS
Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz Quad core processor
Nvidia GeForce 260 896Mb DDR3 graphics card
4Gb RAM
Soundblaster Audigy SE sound card
and a 750W power supply (forgot the brand)

I might add that everything else, not browser related works fine, even high end games.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

See, if same thing happens in Safe Mode with Networking.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 MythicalArcher

MythicalArcher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Well I ran windows update overnight and my problem seems to be resolved.

It's been a long time and there were a lot of updates so I don't know which or what fixed it, but it seems windows was the problem and this update fixed it.

Only small issue now is all my browser text is bolded but that's alright.

Thanks for trying to help anyways guys :thumbsup:

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

Thank you for posting back :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 05:13 PM

yea thank you for posting back and you are welcome :thumbsup:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users