Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google redirect virus-can not run SuperAntiSpyware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 kjewell

kjewell

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

I've got a Google redirect virus with other symptoms.

1) Any link in Google search redirects to other sights
2) many executables will not run--phony 'antivirus warning window pops up saying executable is infected-do I want to update antivirus software' ignoring this
3) can not log in as other users

Current Status:
Booting in Safe Mode with Networking
run rkill.scr downloaded from this site--only process stopped is the rkill process
Mbam is updated, quick scan shows no infections
Attempting to run SUPERAntiSpyware

1st attempt-starts to execute, then is killed. Windows Installer warning window pops up saying 'The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.'

2nd attempt-right click run as other user--Pop up saying 'This service can not be started in Safe Mode'

3rd attempt-right click Run As Administrator--same 'can not be started in Safe Mode' pop up

How do I get SUPERAntiSpyware to execute? Or should I use something else to scan with? Or any other suggestions on what to try next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:06 PM

Will it run in normal?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 kjewell

kjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

I'll let you know, thanks. I got sidetracked running ESET Online Scan. It's finding numerous threats, but I don't know if any of them are related to my current problem.

Does it make sense that SuperAntiSpyWare would not run in Safe Mode? I don't know whether the warnings that pop up are legitimate Windows OS warnings or are phony the virus blocking execution of the SAS

#4 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:05 PM

Hi boopme
The user has opened a topic in the malware removal forum here, which I will be handling.

Feel free to close this topic to avoid confusion :thumbsup:

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#5 kjewell

kjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thank you. I'll stop posting here and follow your guidance in other topic. Thanks again.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:54 AM

Thanks aonmaster. I will close this now to keep it orderly.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users