Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network or Server

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sloanman23

sloanman23

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

I run a small business and I have a new office manager. We work out of two different locations. We want to be able to have access to programs like quickbooks and outlook. For instance if my office manager is working inside these programs during the day and I come along and want to make changes or additions to those programs/files can we do this? There is alot of calendar/quickbook updates during the day and if he make changes to them I want to be able to see it on my computer/visversa. I think my answer is we need to put it on a server but, I didn't know if there is anything eaiser. Or do we need to set up some kind of network and how is done? Any help?

Sloanman23

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

You will want to use something like SBS(small business server) it supports up to 75 users. It also comes with a built-in exchange server (for all of your outlook sutff) and other goodies. If your using it remotely from the other other office than you will probably want to establish a VPN from the remote office for exchange to work properly. Quickbooks will need to be put on the server and then you will need to use terminal services to connect and run the program. Server comes with remote admin mode for free which lets two people connect to the server at the same time. More than that will cost you extra. You will need a decent hardware setup to run everything without bogging down so if you don't have that already then expect to spend $1000-$2000 just on the server hardware to get a good setup with a RAID array and backup capabilities. Software will depend on the version which will be either 2003 or 2008 at this point. 5 CAL(users) license versions vary from approx $500(2003) to $800(2008) and additional client licences will cost extra. A company of around 10-15 employees will run at least $1500-2000 for just the software and licences. So be prepared for a total cost of approx $2500-4000 for purchase. Unless you have someone that is tech savy expect somecost to setup the server anf needed VPN's and such as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users