Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random bleeps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnanglim

johnanglim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:36 PM

Hello all - wee problem my PC has.
When my machine has been on a while, or is asked to play a game or something, I get random beeps coming from from my tower. If I set-up a scan on reboot, it stops only to return after a wee while.
Fans are working fine, there are no strange processes in Task Manager - it is just really strange. Today I came across the Win32 P2P Worm Alcan.a and have just spent a couple of hours getting rid of that - no idea if that was causing the problem. Could it be overheating, or a faulty sensor?
Any ideas most appreciated. Details of machine below - many thanksjava script:emoticon(':thumbsup:')
smilie

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) Advent_2ndDiff 7IXE4
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1000 megahertz AMD Athlon
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 7IXE4 1.1
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 62710 06/01/2000
Drives Memory Modules c,d
20.48 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
10.87 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON LTR-32123S [CD-ROM drive]
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1502 [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 32049H2 [Hard drive] (20.49 GB) -- drive 0, s/n L23TAQZC, rev YAH814Y0, SMART Status: Healthy 640 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 256 MB
Slot '1' has 256 MB
Slot '2' has 128 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (FAT32 on drive 0) 20.48 GB 10.87 GB free
Network Drives
None detected :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Michael Buckley

Michael Buckley

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:17 AM

Hello and Welcome to BleepingComputer

If you what to disable system bleeps go
Start < Control Panel < System < Hardware < Device Manager

Now press View and then tick "Show hidden devices"

Under "Non Plug and Play Devices" right click "Bleep" and press disable. Reboot and see if it bleeps.

Edited by Michael Buckley, 12 October 2005 - 01:18 AM.

Toolbar Buttons the biggest button pack for Firefox or Thunderbird
Text Formatting Toolbar - make posting easy and fun.
Xrl.in - Tiny URls

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 01:52 AM

BEEP CODES
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:37 AM

Try looking at your Event Viewer (Start...Run...type eventvwr.msc and press Enter). Look for errors in each of the 3 categories in the left hand pane.

Try to match the beeps up with the error messages by time that they occurred.

If there's no correlation between them, then it's likely that there's a program that's trying to notify you of something.

I use a small program to notify me when one of my directories is full enough to copy to a CD. Then I forget about it. When it beeps, I frantically search my system until I find the source - then I slap myself upside the head and say "Doh!"
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,725 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:42 AM

...it's likely that there's a program that's trying to notify you of something.

One of the 'Weather' programs was nortorious for this. If there was any kind of a weather bulletin, it would start beeping.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 johnanglim

johnanglim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:05 AM

Thankyou very much for the ideas folks...will work my way through them and let you know the outcome.
A guy on another site recommended cleaning out the chipfan and heatsink...this I have done ...but it was away again last night. I will remove the weather thingy which was on Firefox...
It just seems to happen when the processor has lots to do...for instance playing a game or even working with Excel.
It does not affect the workings of the machine - I will get a wee CPU Temp prog and see what happens when it goes off again.
Once again - many thanks for the ideas - most appreciated. :thumbsup:

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:12 AM

Another thing to check. Go to Start...Run...Control Panel...Sounds and Audio Devices. Then click on the Sounds Tab. Scroll down the list to see if there's anything that might fit the bill. If so, click on it - then press the little ">" button to play the sound.

This might help to isolate a known event (but this doesn't list my little notification program except as an icon with a blank description and no sound)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 johnanglim

johnanglim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:42 AM

Hi Folks - just to update you on my PC's health or otherwise.
Mr Beepy has gone - no idea which approach shut him up, but all seems to be well. I did a combination of things recommended by users on this and other sites - heatsink cleaning, disabling alarms, etc...but whatever I did it seems to have calmed. One thing I have not done is pushed the cpu to where it is working hard. Too much of a coward :thumbsup:
I do not need this machine for game play anyway - I really need it for my course - if it goes down I am scuppered. But all seems to be well.
Many, many thanks for all the advice - really appreciated. Will recommend this site to others - fantastic.

Over and oot for the noo as we say in Scotland :flowers:

Cheers Again :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users