Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow computer and keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cd-spencer

cd-spencer

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

Hi

My computer is cronically slow and keeps crashing....I know it is by some distance not state of the art technology but recently my computer has become very slow whilst performing very basic tasks, e-mail etc and is also prone to 'locking up' and crashing....are these symptoms of a virus? spyware....I have run my AVG 8.5 protection and it comes back with nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

C.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

Well...how about a little more info on this system :thumbsup:?

System manufacturer and model? How much RAM installed? How large is C: partition? How much free space currently on C:?

FWIW: AVG 8.5 is quite old, IMO. BSODs can be caused by many things, including lack of proper maintenance, damaged files, and hardware problems.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items. Save the report as BSOD.txt. If the reported date for errors is not in chronological order (most recent at top), then you may want to sort that column to make it so...before saving the file.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

General info on slow computers: Slow Computer-browser Check Here First; It May Not Be Malware - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first;-it-may-not-be-malware/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users