Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Foistware

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:26 PM

This thread will illustrate what happens when you go to a malicious website that won't let you leave without downloading their program. Its very hard to get away from once you go there. It will also discuss what to do when this happens and how to get out of the situation without getting any unwanted malware related programs installed on your computer without your consent or knowledge.

Please be aware that these are only screenshots and nothing will happen to your computer. They are not clickable. The following is based on using Internet Explorer and concerns a feature called "Install on demand". There are instructions at the end of the post for disabling this feature

So you click on a link for an anti-spyware program or maybe its a popup or a link in your email and you are taken to a website like this:

Posted Image

If you don't have Install on demand disabled and you use Internet Explorer you are already the unwitting recipient of the following download. It has been downloaded and installed on your computer. You are infected with malware now. This is known as a "Drive By Download".

Posted Image

If you do have Install on demand disabled you receive the above security warning and you would think that you are ok. You click No. You try to navigate away from the site, but wait, what this?

Posted Image

No, no, no, You don't want to do this. You click cancel. Now you get this:

Posted Image

Now what are you going to do? I don't believe that if you clicked Ok on that box that you would have the option of Run or Open, which implies a Cancel option too. I think the download may start right away.

Its important not to panic or to get frustrated and click Ok just to make the boxes go away. Personally, I chickened out at this point. If you were using a ZoneAlarm Firewall or any other type that has an Internet Lock this would be the ideal time to use it. In order to get out of this you need to close the browser using the Task Manager/Close Programs feature accessed by using Ctrl+Alt+Delete and closing the page. The second time I went to this site when I forced the window to close I got a blue screen.

If I get brave I'll go back and click Ok on that last one. :thumbsup:

In Firefox, you can disable the automatic install feature this way:

"tools tab", under "tools, options, web features", the
default setting is "Allow websites to install software". Uncheck that.

Thanks to our jgweed for that info.

In Internet Explorer go to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and take the check mark from Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) and Enable Install On Demand (Other). The consequence of this will be that you will begin to see Security Warnings when something tries to install on your computer. Unless it is something you want to install (which happens rarely) always say no.

Many thanks to Pandy for all her hard work on the screenshots in this post and her timely advice.

Edited by Pandy, 13 April 2006 - 07:53 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:33 PM

Leurgy. It was my distinct pleasure to assist you. :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 42,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

Very informative posts and a great job on the research. This is a great example on how our members can see how malware/foistware/adware can get installed on their computers and how to avoid it.

Kudos!

#4 UKBiker

UKBiker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:45 PM

Excellent write up. Well done.

UKBiker

#5 Dollyeyes

Dollyeyes

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:28 AM

:thumbsup: As a newbie..i have just read this item and it was so easy for a non-puter savvy person like myself to understand.....thankyou pandy and Leurgy! :flowers:
Posted Image
Of all the things Ive lost...I miss my mind the most!

#6 Haroldo

Haroldo

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:46 PM

Your fans over at CoU will see this link

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 67,345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:37 PM

A great wtite up as you know I got hammered by one of those a few days ago. I hope every body reads the aticle. Because these sites can be monsters.. Thanks for all the work..... :thumbsup: :flowers:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 01:00 AM

Oh Haroldo Thank you so much for the link there at CoU. That's awesome! :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2005 - 05:15 AM

Great advice! Very helpful in protecting yourself, regardless if you use Firefox or IE.

Personally I leave the "Allow Websites to Install Software." Checked, however I have only Mozilla's Official Firefox Extension website under the "allow list."

#10 Elixer

Elixer

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:33 PM

Very helpful for users and a good read.
Resident Geek

"There is an answer to every question, but is there an answer to every problem?"

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2005 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the info. I actually just accidentally visited one of these sites. I had misspelled a popular antivirus web site's URL and got the bad web site instead.

Sneaky little devils, ain't they!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#12 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the tip! I hate those sites. It's one of the reasons I switched to Mozilla.

#13 Ravenshade

Ravenshade

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the tips, always appreciated guys.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 33,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 15 October 2005 - 11:05 PM

Leurgy and Pandy,

It is my distinct pleasure to utilize my 100th post to, congratulate you both on an excellent job on this topic. It's very well written and illustrated. And long overdue to have this "Bleeping" subject addressed. Keep up the great work you two.

Be (Foistware) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:21 PM

:thumbsup: Animal Thank you :flowers:

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users