Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Search Redirecting To Random Pages

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 makalele

makalele

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

Hi There,

I am operating the following;

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
AVG Free V9.0
Windows Defender

I was recently infected with a rogue anti virus application which gave constant warnings on the system tray saying my computer was being attacked and I should click on the warning to activate anti virus. It also opened a false windows security window showing that I had no anti virus software. It would not allow internet explorer to run and also prevented the task manager from running. This resulted in the machine being completely unusable due to fact that it was so slow and the screen being full of windows which I could not remove and the system tray being full of anti virus warnings.
I started the machine in safe mode and ran a copy of Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool which found nothing, ran Windows defender which again found nothing. I downloaded a copy of Malwarebytes Antimalware and ran it, which detected several threats (which unfortunately I didn't note down) and seemed to successfully remove the offending virus.
Since then, my search engine (Google) is redirecting me to all sorts of random sites. In addition I keep getting AVG Resident Shield alerts warning me of tracking cookies. An example is Found Tracking Cookie.Yieldmanager but the warnings are spurious and change each time. I never received these warnings before and now I don't know if they are geniune or not.
I have since carried out scans using MBAM, Windows Defender, AVG Free, Spybot S & D. Each of these find a threat or two (which again I didn't note down, sorry) and appears to successfully remove them but my redirection problem and AVG Resident Shield warnings remain.

I have carried out the actions in your Preparation Guide for use before using Anti Malware Removal Tools and Requesting help and had the following problems;

1. I successfully downloaded the GMER zip file but on right click (or double click) an error message told me that my security settings do not allow this action.

2. After downloading the GMER zip and extracting it to a USB stick on another machine, I carried out a GMER scan on the faulty machine from the USB stick. The GMER scan ran for a significant amount of time before I was momentarily presented with a blue screen saying a problem had been encountered and the machine restarted.

3. After the machine restarted, it was painfully slow. I attempted to run the GMER scan again but the machine was so slow and eventually froze. My only option was to carry out a hard reset by holding the power button in.

4. After a further restart, I copied the GMER.exe file to the desktop in case running it fron the USB stick was a problem. I carried out a further scan which initially appeared to work but eventually there was no activity on the GMER window as if it had frozen. After approximately 15 minutes of no activity (it is still like that as I type this) I am making this post.

I do have a copy of the DDS.txt and Attach.txt files from the DDS scan but have not posted pending your instructions.

I hope I have explained myself well and have provided you with the correct (and enough) information.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

Hello,

Don't worry about the GMER scan at this time. Please make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them. Also, describe what happened when you tried to get the GMER log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users