Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost wireless internet connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PhilMcCracken

PhilMcCracken

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hi all,

I have my neighbor's HP laptop running Windows 7. She has AT&T/Uverse as her internet provider with a 3800HGV-B wireless router. Here's the thing: she can no longer get wireless internet on her laptop. If I hook up the laptop to an ethernet port, she can get to the internet just fine. I took the laptop to coffee shop with W-Fi and was able to use that just fine. I did the reboot/reset of the laptop and router; after that, the laptop could connect for a few minutes, then the internet capacity would drop. The laptop and router are still seeing each other, but the communication ends there; there is no internet access.

There is a desktop computer in her house; that can connect to the wireless internet just fine.

I downloaded and ran inSSIDer; teh laptop was running on channel 8; the rest of the neighborhood was running on channels 1, 4 and 11. Just for kicks, I switched the channel to 3. Didn't work. Speaking of channels, is every device on the LAN in the house supposed to access the same wireless channel? I thought, perhaps, each device should be on its own channel, but I could be misunderstanding where the wireless channels split......

Thanks for the help.

Here's the result of ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Robin-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0A-60-76-33-23-3A
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros AR9285 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0C-60-76-33-23-3A
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d56c:dd1c:815c:6063%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.96(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:53:51 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 21, 2010 7:53:51 AM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 302801014
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-53-38-C9-00-1F-16-EB-9A-F3
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : launchmodem.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1F-16-EB-9A-F3

Tunnel adapter isatap.gateway.2wire.net:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter isatap.launchmodem.com:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tunnel adapter isatap.{FA467EF2-C141-4CC5-88CC-48ED25A1C0C2}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

All wireless devices on your network ( including the router) should be configured to use the same wireless channel. You should try to pick a channel not in use by he neighbors to reduce interference. Also if the router is not N capable ne sure the wireless mode is set to mixed.

I also see something that concerns me a little. Your default gateway and DNS are the same IP. This is usually indicitive of having a modem with routing capabilities. These are setup to be hooked to a switch or hub not a router. What happens is intermittent loss of connectivity much like you are seeing here. You will need to log on to the modem and set it to bridge mode in order to eliminate the conflict that is causing these losses.

Connect the the modem directly via ethernet. Do an ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew, ipconfig /all. Write down the default gateway IP address. Open IE and enter the IP in the address bar. A login window should open. You will need to enter the default name password of the model manufacturer here. They are usually one of the following:

1. username: password: admin
2. username:admin password:1234 or 12345
3. username: admin password: guest

You will need to do the following: 1. turn off DHCP, 2. change the modem mode from router to bridge, 3. set the IP to match your internal LAN (ie 192.168.1.xxx for linksys/cisco). Remember to apply at each page before moving on or your setting will be lost. Once completed connect the powered down router and turn on wait for it to completely finish booting up and connect the computer to the router. Do an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew from the command line. All should now be well.

For all you moderators/forum people out there I would be happy to write a detailed pinned topic on this if for no other reason than I can stop typing all of this everytime. Let me know I can always send a word file over for your approval. :thumbsup:
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 PhilMcCracken

PhilMcCracken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:55 PM

Hey Baltboy,

Thanks for your reply. It's much appreciated. I do have a couple of questions about it:

You stated that these devices were set up to be hooked to a switch or a hub and not a router. Could you tell me what told you that?

From what my neighbor says, she's had this issue for a couple of weeks, but her setup at home was fine until that; could you enlighten me as to how this setup might have worked for months previously?

Thanks again.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:49 AM

I am assuming one thing here. That the ISP supplied the modem and your neighbor supplied the router. What rings alarm bells for me is straight from the ipconfig /all report. Typically what you see here when using a router is IP address, Default gateway, and DHCP server should all be in the same IP range which they are. The gateway and the DHCP should be identical which they are too. The DNS server should be an IP address of the ISP's DNS server which would have to be an internet routable IP. The 192.168.1.xxx is reserved for private LAN's and is not routable over the internet. So that DNS entry was the flag since it is typical of a modem that has routing capabilities and issues the dedicated router all of the addresses.

The works not works symptom I believe is a function of two things. First you have competing DHCP servers. One from the modem, one from the router which are trying to issue addresses. If you look at the modem guides for these type they usually tell you to turn off automatically get DNS and leave it blank. Second Since both devices are trying to be routers they are both also doing NAT. Double NAT on every packet should work in theory but can cause problems as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 PhilMcCracken

PhilMcCracken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:34 AM

Hey Baltboy, I really appreciate the edification. I'll let oyu know what happens later......I also found a hard drive error so she's taking it to get that serviced as that's under warranty. I can't possibly imagine a hard drive error would cause the issue she's been having......

#6 PhilMcCracken

PhilMcCracken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:38 AM

Update:

Well, my neighbor took her laptop to Best Buy, of all places, and got it fixed on the spot. It seems there was a Windows Update that hadn't finished installing that caused the wireless connection to bounce as it had. Has anyone else heard of this?

#7 Darth sidious

Darth sidious

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

Had a windows update for a wireless adapter go wrong some years ago killed the connection i did a system restore to a earlier date and that resolved it.
HP Compaq 6715b Notebook--AMD Turionx2 2.2Ghz 64 Mobile TL-64--4GB DDR2 667Mhz--Compaq 6715b--fujitsu siemens 500GB sataII Internal, Toshiba 1TB EXT HD Backup--IGP ATI Radeon x1250 128MB--Broadcom a\b\g Wlan adapter built in, Sonicwall TZ100, Dlink DSL 2740b--Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and linux ubuntu dual boot--Firefox 4.0 &IE8--Eset Firewall--Nod32 antivirus & Spyware Doctor--Malwarebytes anti malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users