Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan.Fraudpack Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:16 AM

On Monday I must have contracted a nasty little virus on my computer because when I went to use it on Tuesday I would get a warning message when ever I tried to open IE to search the net and IE would close down again. I tried sending logs to MS but I realized it was a virus. Now what is interesting is that IE8 sometimes recovers my browser session and I can use the net. Other times it close things down but it seems to do that more frequently when I'm trying download or run one of the AV tools from IE. I tried to open my AV but the nasty little bugger closes that down too. I ran Malwarebytes and it found two instances of the trojan.fraudpack which I deleted. I searched your forum and found the following thread (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic307234.html) and am trying to implement it as much as possible, but so far I'm not having much luck.

I'm running Windows XP 64-bit OS, RAID 5, IE8, FF7, and Avast AV. We have a wireless network in our house, but this computer is hardwired to the router. Each family member has their own account on the system with 3 of the 4 accounts having admin rights. Luckily the virus is only impacting my account so I can operate normally with my wife's account which is a good thing because I can get a lot of these tools downloaded and installed. I'm also still able to use FF on my account with no issues and occasionally IE8, but the virus tries to close it down all of the time. The virus is very good at disabling anything that tries to kill it.

Here is what I've done to date:
1. Ran Malwarebytes from my account. Found virus the first two times but nothing recent. Ran in both normal and safe mode.
2. Ran Malwarebytes from my wife's account and it found the same virus again which was quarantined and deleted.
3. Ran Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner - Ran from FF and it identified the trojan.fraudpack as well.
4. Tried to use IE but issue still present so I downloaded SAS from FF.
5. Ran SAS the first time from my wife's account in normal mode. Found 338 but it looks like only 1 is my issue so I had those deleted and rebooted computer.
6. Currently running SAS again in safe mode using Admin account.

I've been saving all of my logs so I can provide any of them if requested. This is our main household computer and it has all of our family digital pictures so I need to make sure I don't lose anything, but I'm in hte process of backing up all of our vital information in case I need to reformat. While I wait for a response I'm going to start following the Preparation guide to start providing the information required.

Thank you in advance for all your assistance.

Edited by Budapest, 20 May 2010 - 05:32 PM.
oved from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ~BP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scott Stoef

Scott Stoef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 07:55 PM

I used several of the tools in thread (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic307234.html) and finally got it resolved. I ended up running Malwarebytes, Super Anti-Spyware, F-Secure, and ESET in that order. I kept running each tool until they no longer found any viruses. It was quite a challenge but I finally did it.

Now all I need is an AV that will work with Windows XP 64-bit. I'm currently running Avast! but it was that software that got me into this mess, so I'm looking for something better. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them!

Thanks!

#3 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:55 AM

I would recommend Avira free.I like it and it should work well with 64 bit
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/index.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users