Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade Advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 battleclown

battleclown

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:17 AM

Hello!

My desktop is about 3 years old and I am looking to upgrade some of the hardware. However, with all the different components in the system, it is hard to know where I should start. I should probably begin by saying that I'm a student on budget and can really only afford a part or two at a time.

I like to play games (the reason I want to upgrade), but I don't need my games to run at the highest possible settings. I just want everything to look marginally better and perform better. If this helps, the latest game I was able to run at a decent setting was Bioshock (the first one), which I could run at medium settings at 20-30 FPS. Of course, it didn't look great or perform very well but it was playable.

Here is a list of my current hardware and relevant software:

Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard Company
Mainboard : Asus Basswood
Chipset : Intel P965
Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2400 MHz
Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT
Hard Disk : HDT722525DLA380 (250 GB)
Hard Disk : WD (500 GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H653L
DVD-Rom Drive : SATA-DVD DROM6316
Monitor Type : Hewlett Packard HP vs19d - 19 inches
Network Card : 82562V 10/100 Network Connection
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
DirectX : Version 9.0c (April 2009)

Any advice on this would be great and very helpful. Again, I'm on a budget and cannot spend $500 on a video card. I just want to improve my performance, and am looking for a place to start. I can certainly provide any other information that would be helpful.

Thanks everyone!

-Chris

EDIT: Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building and Upgrading, merged duplicate posts ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 20 May 2010 - 03:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

Between a rock and a hard place.

Normally I would recommend an ATI 5770 for $160 and call it a day. Your system is at the point where any more upgrades, for gaming, might be questionable.

Your power supply is likely inadequate for many newer video cards. That 7950 GT only pulls ~70 watts max. Even a 5770, which is considered a "green" card, tops out at 110watts, even more when overclocked. Budget a new power supply as well.

XP doesn't support DX10 and above. I do not know if it would be possible to upgrade the OS to WIn 7 on that machine.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7...de-advisor.aspx HP might not have drivers for WIN 7 for that hardware.

That CPU will limit you on newer games as well.

If it was mine, I would lean towards saving some cash and building another system. It is a Socket 775 board with a 965 shipset. It is dated. Any money you throw at a CPU upgrade, is money you threw away.

If you have a spare $200 to use to get another year or so out of it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...9-008-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...2-858-_-Product

All the above is just an opinion..................I could be wrong.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:44 AM

I would tend to agree for the most part the computer is behind the times in the proccessor arena and although there is some headroom to upgrade here (3.3Ghz available at newegg) save it to rebuild.

I would go for a video card and some memory. I would choose the 5770 as well unless you have the cash for the 5850 :thumbsup: As far as memory goes you can add another 2 GB ( as long as you have four slots0 for four GB. While 32bit Xp will not recognize all of it the performance benefits of having an interleaved second pair will more than make up for it. Both together can be had for 270ish. As stated above you will need to check your power supply to be sure it can handle the extra strain of the new card and hopefully has the needed plugs.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users