Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Web Search & Wild Tangent

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kathy915

kathy915

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:46 AM

In my add/remove I deleted Wild Tangent, tried to delete my web search but says RUNDLL could not be found.
I went into the registry and under LocalMachines\software found folders for both of these.
I had already deleted Wild tangent but appears to have a folder still.

My 2 questions are:
Is it safe to delete these folders & keys from the registry ?
Do these 2 files contain spyware attachments to them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 11:56 AM

Hello Kathy. Frankly I think you should post a HighJackThis Log in the HJT forum. Except for the HJT Team no one should advise you to modify your registry. If you delete the wrong key you may end up reinstalling your OS.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:50 PM

Yes one should always create a backup of the registery, before any editing is done.

One wrong move and well...

Edited by Scarlett, 02 October 2005 - 12:50 PM.

Posted Image

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:06 PM

Not to get off topic, but backing up your Registry from a known good configuration is a good habit. I backup mine once a month or when I successfully install a new program.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 02 October 2005 - 02:45 PM

An excellent FREE tool to back up your registry is ERUNT: http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

Also read: "How to Backup The System Registry": http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/RegBack.htm

WildTangent is a video game software company specializing in online games. Its gaming plugin contains the WildTangent Web Driver, WildTangent Multiplayer Library, WildTangent Updater and WildTangent GameChannel. The WildTangent Web Driver is their technology that allows you to play 3D games over the Internet. Although its not technically considered spyware it does have built in components to update itself and gather information about the computer system.

MyWebSearch is an Internet Explorer toolbar part of the Fun Web Products suite of utilities such as Smiley Central, Cursor Mania, My Mail Stationary, My Mail Signature, PopSwatter, Popular Screensavers, and the My Way website portal. MyWebSearch is not technically malware but it is thought to be bad by many experts since the program can introduce malware along with it.

They both create registry entries that the HJT Team will be able to identify and help you remove properly. acklan has provided good advice by instructing you to post a log in the HJT forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users