Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Considering upgrading hard drive on Dell pc

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Killer_queen

Killer_queen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:06 AM

Hi! I have a Dell Optiplex GX280. It only has 40GB's and I'd like to increase that but I'm not sure how to do it. I'm learning as I go so be gentle :huh:
It has an Intel Celeron processor 2.66GHz 504MB of RAM
IDE drive

I'd like upgrade to something newer. From my research SATA sounds like the way to go. I'd prefer to set it up with 500GB or even 1TB, problem is I don't have a clue what to buy. I hate getting halfway through a project only to find I need to buy a better processor etc. Installing the stuff shouldn't be a problem.... so who's the pc god here that can tell me exactly what I'd need? lol

Thanks in advance.... I only recently registered here, but u guys have kept my pc running great for quite a while now :thumbsup:

P.S. Since it's my 1st post I might have broken a rule so don't beat me bleeping mommy :huh: lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

Since it seems that you have SATA capability, any SATA drive of any size will do...lots of options.

If you change hard drives, you will either have to reinstall XP or clone the old drive to the new.

Do you have the capability to reinstall your O/S?

Do you have your Dell drivers CD?

Louis

#3 Killer_queen

Killer_queen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

I can reinstall the O/S no problems. I own xp pro & home. I dont have the driver cd but last time I changed the o/s I was able to update them through the microsoft update site. Is my processor fast enough to handle 1TB of memory? Thnks :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,733 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

The hard drive is nothing but a storage cabinet...which is why they are so large these days. More storage means more files can be kept/stored and video files are much larger than other files...most of us now save video files to our hard drives.

The only systems that would have a problem with the drives of today because of their size...are very old systems...and those systems would not really have a problem as long as they were using XP with at least SP1 installed.

The speed of the CPU and the speed of the hard drive...really have no correlation. The CPU is the heart of the system, while the hard drive is just the storage part of the system. Both are important, if one wants to call it a "system" but the cooperation required for them to work together...is built into the respective functioning of each.

If you are concerned about system speed...I suggest that you increase the amount of RAM installed to the maximum supported by that system. The RAM is your system memory and has a direct correlation to how fast/how well the system performs all of its functions.

Louis

#5 Killer_queen

Killer_queen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:27 AM

GREAT!!! That answers all my questions at this point Thank u very much Louis :thumbsup:

#6 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

As a note is always the best practice to download all of the drivers from the respective manufacturers sites. I have had problems on more than one occassion that have been tracked right to a driver downloaded from Microsoft.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#7 Killer_queen

Killer_queen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

Will do Thank u Baltboy :thumbsup:

#8 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

If you go to crucial.com, they have a scanner that will scan your system and let you know how much RAM and what type RAM your system uses. You don't necessarily have to order your RAM from there but adding RAM to your system should give you a nice performance boost. Most likely the hard drive you have is a 5400 rpm so if you get another drive, look for a 7200 rpm drive for another small boost.

If you get some software like Acronis Tryue Image you can clone your existing drive which will be much easier than reinstalling all of your software.

Edited by strolln, 24 May 2010 - 01:00 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users