Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive E:/ is not accessible Incorrect function

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 macdadluke23

macdadluke23

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:06 AM

Ok heres the problem, I recently had a corrupt file that would not let me go into windows vista. So i decided to reinstall windows Vista and it worked. Everything startup ok and i did the windows update but when i try to access my third hard drive (E) which is a baracuda seagate 1.5tb SATA hard drive it will not let me in, it says E:/ is not accessible incorrect function. When i go to disk managment it says my drive (E) is RAW. Now my other 2 hard drives C and D are accessible i am able to go in there but not my third hard drive. Can some one tell me how to fix this problem as i have very important data on my drive E hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

CHKDSK error message - The type of the filesystem is RAW - http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raw-filesystem.htm, ignore the ads.

See comments by Quietman at This Link.

The "not accessible, incorrect function" message typically seems to occur with optical drives, not hard drives...I would say that either your file system or the drive itself is failing.

A failing file system can be overcome by reformatting and reinstalling the O/S, while a failing hard drive probably needs to be written off, if running the correct hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on it confirms the suspicion of imminent failure.

Louis

#3 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:00 AM

Thanks hamluis for your help I am able to view my hard drive BUT now it is giving me an incorrect reading on my free space. My hard drive is 1.5tb and when i highlight all the files and folder and click on properties it says i only used up 700gb but when i go to my computer it says my hard drive only has 100mb left of free space. What happen to the other 700gb of memory

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 08:19 AM

How much free space is reflected...if you use Details view in My Computer?

Same question for a view from Disk Managment?

Louis

#5 macdadluke23

macdadluke23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:07 PM

Details in my computer and disk management are the same they both show that my hard drive has only 100mb left

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,731 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

Try using one of the following tools to sort it out:

WinDirStat - http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2...4-10614593.html

TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users