Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to these forums

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 goodkarmech

goodkarmech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hello everyone, I'm a car mechnician who often checks out car related forums and sometime offer my advice to those in need.
I have registered for these forums because I discovered them while searching for solutions to a virus called personal security that got onto my notebook last Sat.
I also thought I might learn some things while scanning the posts that I didn't know about windows XP and PC's in general.
We run Windows XP home and pro on 2 different PC's and 2 different laptops in my house.
Fortunately the virus is on one of the notebook pc's and it is used mainly as a convenience computer. I followed some online advice about removing this pestilence but was left with a machine that redirected some searches on both Firefox and IE, so I don't think it is all gone.
Since it is an Aux. machine in the household, I am thinking of a clean wipe, but don't have any recovery discs. I might order one from HP, but since it is an HP mini, it doesn't have a DVD slot, so I will need to get an external dvd or a flash drive to do the reinstallation!
I'm sending in to HP for some warranty work on the hinges and to see why the hibernate setting no longer works. Perhaps they will do the reinstallation while there, or fix it. The HP rep said it will be good as new when I get it back.
Any tips or tricks to do, know or say when getting HP warranty work done would be helpful to know about. Perhaps there is a category for that as well as problems
It is great to know that computer knowledgeable folks help others like we do in the car repair business.
Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

Hello and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Be sure to check out the New User Orientation and the excellent Tutorials.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users