Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For the fair-trade concerned...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:02 PM

A liberal Chinese newspaper company, Southern Weekly, sent an undercover reporter to work in Foxconn's iPhone factory in Shenzhen. What he found was a group of overworked, underpaid, stressed out workers. The investigation began due to several recent employee suicides at the factory.
Gizmodo Article
Even if I buy from other companies that overwork their employees, Foxconn will never again see my business, nor any other company that has suicidal workers. And I'm putting the iPhone on hold, looking at a Droid or HTC for my next phone instead.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheEgg

TheEgg

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

And I'm putting the iPhone on hold, looking at a Droid or HTC for my next phone instead.

I bet they all come from the same factory.

#3 trollocks

trollocks

• Members
  • 369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:29 PM

If you don't buy from any compny that has suicidal workers you may have to do without quite a lot.I've worked for about 10 different companies and there has been a suicide at 2 of them.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

I don't want this to sound wrong, but I'm making sure they regret 'getting caught' at least. One down a million to go, you know?

And trollocks, keyword 'several' suicides. As would indicate excessively stressful work conditions.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 21 May 2010 - 04:02 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:06 PM

This topic is turning into something that general chat is not designed for. This is not the Speak Easy forum.

If you wish to discuss this topic, you need to follow the proper procedure for creating a topic in the Speak Easy

Forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/69/the-speak-easy/

Guidelines in these two topics:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/21051/speak-easy-guidelines/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/217683/speak-easy-changes/